MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #46
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
I like to use King Arthur recipes. This one turned out pretty good if I remember correctly.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...a-rolls-recipe
King Arthur website is a great resource.

I made some parker house dinner rolls from their recipe section for Thanksgiving and they were a hit.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-rolls-recipe

Attachment 165870

[ATTACH]165871[/ATTACH

Last edited by Lawnguy; 01-19-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #47
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnguy View Post
]

King Arthur website is a great resource.

I made some parker house dinner rolls from their recipe section for Thanksgiving and they were a hit.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-rolls-recipe

Attachment 165870

[ATTACH]165871[/ATTACH
I'll have to try that, thanks. I couldn't help but notice the last sentence in the Baker's Tip section. Food for thought:

TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS
Due to the natural tendency of yeast dough to both stretch and shrink as you work with it, don't stress when you don't end up with rolls that are all the same size. Just arrange them however they best fit to cover most of the bottom of the pan — a shorter one next to a longer one, etc. By the time they've risen, baked, and been slathered with butter, no one will care about perfection, size-wise. And anyway, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #48
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'll have to try that, thanks. I couldn't help but notice the last sentence in the Baker's Tip section. Food for thought:

TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS
Due to the natural tendency of yeast dough to both stretch and shrink as you work with it, don't stress when you don't end up with rolls that are all the same size. Just arrange them however they best fit to cover most of the bottom of the pan — a shorter one next to a longer one, etc. By the time they've risen, baked, and been slathered with butter, no one will care about perfection, size-wise. And anyway, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
I laughed when I read that when trying the recipe.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #49
lzbcook
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Wes

Thanks Bob C Cue
Love those ciabatta rolls- they hold some sauce and don't fall apart
Plan to try them THIS weekend
lzbcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #50
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS
when I make a typical half dozen batch of biscuits the last one is never the same size as the rest. sometimes its bigger, others its smaller.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #51
Look What Maddie Made
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Maddie

not exactly a loaf of bread, but I did use a yeast dough so I'm going to post this here...

today I made cinnamon rolls!

Not just any cinnamon rolls though, I've been on a cranberry kick lately so I decided to do cranberry orange walnut ones! I rolled out the dough and then covered it in butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and then I topped half of the dough with craisins and chopped walnuts! I rolled it up and then I sliced the roll and let the slices proof for about half hour and then I baked them!

I did half of the batch with the craisins and nuts but then I did the other half plain. for the plain half I made a cream cheese icing but I didn't take any pics of those ones. for the cranberry side I made a cranberry glaze and then I drizzled on an orange glaze too! They came out really good! I didn't use the full packet of yeast like the recipe called for, but I did use most of it. I let it proof for about an hour before I rolled it out, then for the 2nd proof I only did 30 minutes, even though the recipe said to do 45. I also kept a good eye on them while they were baking so I didn't over cook them, I think they came out perfect! I brought the pan to a friend's house for a football came and everyone liked them!

Look What Maddie Made is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #52
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchman View Post
...which turns out to be Mrs lunchman's favorite - a Cranberry Raisin Walnut loaf....

-lunchman
I thought that sounded like an awesome bread to have at Christmas, so I mixed up a sourdough version this morning to give it a trial run. Already I think I need more craisens and walnuts...

Pic taken right after the initial mix. Will report back tomorrow with how it turns out.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #53
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
French bread

ciabatta sandwich rolls

biscuits

pretzels

How did you make the pretzels?

Old 12-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #54
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Here are a few of mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171223_244843330.jpg (43.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-06 00.44.56.jpg (51.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg cinamonrolls1.jpg (23.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180909_034846173.jpg (49.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg french 11-18.jpg (58.0 KB, 58 views)

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #55
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Well this turned out awesome!

In the oven with a pot o'steam

Out of the oven. Decent spring, not as much as my last loaf, but not bad.

The sides could have browned up a bit more.

I was worried I didn't have enough cranberries and walnut pieces, but I think this was perfect actually. I'll be making another loaf of this for Christmas for sure!

Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #56
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look What Maddie Made View Post
not exactly a loaf of bread, but I did use a yeast dough so I'm going to post this here...

today I made cinnamon rolls!

Not just any cinnamon rolls though, I've been on a cranberry kick lately so I decided to do cranberry orange walnut ones! I rolled out the dough and then covered it in butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and then I topped half of the dough with craisins and chopped walnuts! I rolled it up and then I sliced the roll and let the slices proof for about half hour and then I baked them!

I did half of the batch with the craisins and nuts but then I did the other half plain. for the plain half I made a cream cheese icing but I didn't take any pics of those ones. for the cranberry side I made a cranberry glaze and then I drizzled on an orange glaze too! They came out really good! I didn't use the full packet of yeast like the recipe called for, but I did use most of it. I let it proof for about an hour before I rolled it out, then for the 2nd proof I only did 30 minutes, even though the recipe said to do 45. I also kept a good eye on them while they were baking so I didn't over cook them, I think they came out perfect! I brought the pan to a friend's house for a football came and everyone liked them!

Those look fantastic! Really nice job. It's no wonder they all disappeared at your friend's house.

-lunchman

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #57
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaddis1 View Post
Well this turned out awesome!

In the oven with a pot o'steam

Out of the oven. Decent spring, not as much as my last loaf, but not bad.

The sides could have browned up a bit more.

I was worried I didn't have enough cranberries and walnut pieces, but I think this was perfect actually. I'll be making another loaf of this for Christmas for sure!
Nice job on those, glad my post was helpful. In fact, the Mrs has been asking when I'm baking her bread again. Methinks I'm heading downstairs to the kitchen in a bit to get a loaf started.

I usually overdo it with the cranberries, raisins and walnuts, never measuring. She says you can never put too many into each loaf.

-Dom

Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #58
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Dude, it was REALLY good!! I used dried cranberries, and after sitting in the wet dough for ~20hrs (mixed up the loaf around lunch time, put it in the fridge around 6pm, baked it the next morning before work) they rehydrated a bit, and some of the juice bled out of each just a bit, adding some nice sweetness and flavor to the surrounding dough. I didn't do anything any different besides adding the dried cranberries and walnut pieces either, so it was easy.

FWIW, I had about 65g of both walnut pieces and dried cranberries, in a 700g of flour loaf (65% hydration). That 65g wasn't any magic number...it was how much the little package of walnut pieces had in it, so I used the whole packet and added the same amount of dried cranberries.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #59
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

Here is some sourdough bread and some pizza I made with Peter Reinharts recipes. The sourdough was made with my mother starter I made with Peters recipe. No yeast at all. Came out pretty good. I put some roasted garlic in the mix too.

Attachment 166067

Attachment 166068

Attachment 166069

Old 12-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #60
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

Attachment 166070

Attachment 166071

Attachment 166072

Bread.