Breaking in the Big 26er and SNS XL - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Enjoyed cooking wings on my big 26er on Sunday. My fire bricks do a great job in the 22 inch kettle, but they're just not workable in the 26. Picked up an SNS XL that finally arrived late on Weds.

Generally followed their "lighting instructions" for this first go. Even added the boiling water to the water trough (not something I've done in a kettle before). Mesquite lump for heat. Apple chunks for light, fruity smoke.

hgxeqj2l.jpg

Thawed a rack of Costco St Louis spares. Pulled the membrane. Oakridge SPOGOS on half, and Oakridge Smokey Chile Lime on the other half.

yCLpctEl.jpg

Look at all that grate real estate!

SNY0Cvnl.jpg

Temps holding pretty close to 250F so far. Interested in how this experience plays out.

More to follow.

Awesome Marc! I haven't got the SnS for my 26 yet. Not 100% sure I need it. Waiting to see how yours works out... :pop2:

I'll be interested in what you think on the sns, For me so far it has been great for grilling but I have struggled to keep the temps below 400

I'll be interested in what you think on the sns, For me so far it has been great for grilling but I have struggled to keep the temps below 400

My dome temp (with the dome thermo over the SNS and the vent on the opposite side of the kettle) has been firmly planted in the 450-500 range. Meanwhile, my grate temp (via Smoke) has been in the 250-275F range... with a bit more variation and additional adjustments required than my 22 kettle + firebricks. Interesting.

Quick snap of the SNS and ribs to show 2 hours of fuel consumption. Water level in reservoir is down to about 1/4. I'll top it up when the kettle is off the boil.

BQdbpRXl.jpg

Rack looks pretty good for 2 hours in. Contemplating my standard wrap with some apple sauce vs. leaving it alone since I'm running the water in the SNS.

mZF5vQVl.jpg

So these come with a water tray?

Apparently so. It's not removable on the XL version.

Decided against the wrap. 3 hours into the cook. Flipped the bones after this shot.

lxZtW3Cl.jpg

Quick probe for the "toothpick test" with "not yet" results (as expected).

Seems most non-wrappers get to their tenderness goals around the 4 hour mark.

Added a few more chunks of lump. Temps back up to about 255-260F as we speak. Water down to about 1/3 in the SNS. Not planning to refill this time.

I'm not one to brag... but... we've got a private concert about to go down in our kitchen.

:shock: :tsk:

EV4CrJBl.jpg

Bones were looking mighty fine. Quick probe said "oh-so-close," so I pulled 'em and they're resting in a warm oven for the Instant Pot Concert to finish.

YOysTe3l.jpg

I've been pretty impressed with the temp stability of this 26.75 kettle with SNS XL setup in the 250-275F range, once everything settled in. With some fuel burn-off, fuel addition, and water refill, it was running closer to 245-255F the last 90 min or so with the bottom air intake full open.

I'm used to running in the 275-300 range on my 22 kettle, so this seemed slow... but "relaxed."

Looking good. Also interested on your thoughts of the ribs themselves. I tried the Costco Swift ribs a few years ago but, they were very hammy at the time.

lfFjNXal.jpg

LuJ5hLIl.jpg

It's been a long while since we had SPOGOS or Smokey Chile Lime... excellent on ribs.

Broke out some sauces sent over by Stingerhook & IamMadMan in last few... years :shock:.
- I went spicy with some 4 Rivers Hot.
- Munchkin went sweet with some Spanx.
- CINCHOUSE hit up some Yes Dear Original.

Peas with the ham hock, onions, and some greens were killer.

Early morning tomorrow. I'm out.
Y'all please be safe and keep the thin blue rolling.

Black-eyed peas and 2 flavors of ribs - livin' large. Great job. You're gonna' get a million great cooks out of that 26er.

Those are some meaty ribs ! I rarely find ribs with that much meat on them. Nice cook.

Back