Anyone have a Medium BGE as their only Egg?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have enough extra cash in my pocket to go to my local dealer and get a medium Egg tomorrow. This cash is really, really burning a hole in my pocket and I'd love to get an Egg. I'm mainly interested in the Egg for high heat cooks like steaks and pizza and for really efficient low and slow cooking for doing a single butt or small brisket for me and a few people. A large would be great, but as it is, I only cook for myself and two roommates, so I don't know if I actually need the cooking capacity of the large. I have a backyard size offset smoker and a couple 22.5" Weber kettles if I ever need extra room beyond the M Egg.

So convince me either way... is the Medium Egg for me or do I suck it up and wait? I really, really don't want to wait to save up and if I try to do that I'll probably get tempted by a new knife or something before I get the extra cash (did I mention I'm a knife geek?).

And for the record... IF I get a cooker, it's going to be an Egg. I've built a UDS, I don't want a WSM and while I'd love a Backwoods or Stumps I can always borrow my dad's FEC-100 if I need something like that. I've had a BGE knockoff that I sold so I already love ceramic cookers. I regret getting rid of that one and want another.

You can get by with a medium. I had one on the back porch and it was a workhorse. The large makes it easier for ribs and packer briskets. I upgraded and now have 2 larges...

The medium isn't my only egg, but it is my favorite of the four that I do have (L, M, S, Mi). It is a blast furnace when I ask it to be, and it is a champ at othe temps as well. Large has been retired to really big cooks only now.

Wait it out and get the large - I have never had a cooker that I didn't wish was just a little bigger.

I have a large and find that it is just large enough for ribs and brisket. Thought of an Eggfest?

Get the medium today and start having fun right away. You can always sell it and get a large later. These eggs seem to have pretty good resale value.

OK, so I think I can make it happen with a Large Egg, but I can't get the nest with it. That's just stupid, right? Where can I put an Egg with no nest? I'll probably build a table but that would realistically take 3-4 weeks since I don't have the tools here at my house.

OK, so I think I can make it happen with a Large Egg, but I can't get the nest with it. That's just stupid, right? Where can I put an Egg with no nest? I'll probably build a table but that would realistically take 3-4 weeks since I don't have the tools here at my house.
Taking into account threads like http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106877 maybe not having the nest is such a bad thing even if it means a little longer wait. :becky: I don't know about you but once in a while I wind up doing things I know better than doing.

Back