ThermoWorks ChefAlarm

SmokeWatcher

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I received a promotional email from ThermoWorks advertising a new cooking probe called the ChefAlarm for $59...

The first probe-style cooking alarm built for commercial kitchens. Pro-Series probes survive wide temperature ranges and are sealed against moisture. Includes constant Min/Max display, high and low alarms, adjustable volume and a CAL adjust for fine tuning the accuracy. Includes zippered case. Durable housing with molded-in seals. Available in 9 colors

http://thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

All my other ones died on me recently, so yeah I just pulled the trigger on one along with a needle probe.

I'm happy with mine so far. I also got the needle probe for sous vide but haven't used it so far, just the pro probe that comes standard. I've used it for steaks (reverse sear), tri tip, and pork butts a few times each. It is responsive, easy to use, and seems well built.

DSC_8584+resized.jpg

Very happy with it. Here are the things I like.

• Large LCD display - I can see the temps from several feet away.
  • Min/Max Temp - it displays your high and low food temp spikes
  • Low Temp Alarm - This setting will sound an alarm when you reach a descending temperature target, such as doing yogurt or ice cream. I haven't seen that feature on similar devices.
  • User calibration - it comes calibrated +/- 1.8f from the factory but you can fine tune it yourself
  • Pro-Series Temp Probes - these are immersible in water, such as sous vide or brining. That would ruin all of the temp probes I have used before. They also have a wide operating range from -58f to 572f
  • Back lighted display is visible in the dark
  • Long battery life
I would like to see a version with wireless functionality and dual temp probes in the future.

[Disclosure, I got mine as a review sample. But if mine were to disappear, I would buy another one, especially if they come out with the wireless/dual probe at a higher cost.]

We just got two of them today.

Attachments

• IMG_20140214_144302_101.jpg
    IMG_20140214_144302_101.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 86
They are awesome. I usually temp our chicken with the needle probe.

Back