Anyone heard or own a Kamado Joe?

Yup, same deal here. I'm going to look at it. Will let you know.

Slide on down to North Bend and take a look at them. Thompson's in Issaquah is an Egg and Guru dealer, but I'd be surprised if he was selling them.
I saw earlier posts from the Kent and Portland areas for Kamado Joe.

Since they are located in GA, I wonder if it was started by some former BGE employees?

Nice website... looks to be same size as large BGE...says MSRP is $799

website doesn't say what the the Country of Origin is..

I saw one at a store in Kansas City.....looks better than the BGE. Ceramics are thicker and appears to be better made. Side shelves and cart are definitely better. Looks bigger as well. I really liked the big thermometer. I've only seen the Primo and BGE but I'd buy it over either of those.

Andy and I got to cook on one about four weeks ago. Thicker than a BGE. The side tables and handle is bamboo. Nice grill

I saw one at a store in Kansas City.....looks better than the BGE. Ceramics are thicker and appears to be better made. Side shelves and cart are definitely better. Looks bigger as well. I really liked the big thermometer. I've only seen the Primo and BGE but I'd buy it over either of those.

any affiliation? Looks like you're located about 20 miles from them.

Time will tell if they have the staying power. Until they have a proven track record, BGE will probably get my money.

Didn't look bigger to me. Looked like the internal size was exactly the same.

They are still posted all over our local CL's. Still haven't seen anyone who owns one. I recently saw the Bayou Classic at Cabelas, and it was piece of junk. Lots of new players in the ceramic game.

The only rant on the cooker is the sealant they use on the air damper turned white when it got hot. So white glue showing on the red finish down by the damper

The rack is not porcelain coated, but it does have a nice "door" to just flip open to add wood chunks etc. vs. having to remove the rack.

It did cook nicely. They are definitely targeting eggs - as the rep touted the things they thought were designed "better" than an egg. Overall nice cooker.... but if it is the same price as an egg... I'd get the egg, since the customer service there is unparallelled.

My .02

I looked at one that was side by side w/a Egg. I liked the egg better. Also the didn't have a XL.

Their FAQ page says they have a limited lifetime warranty. This is listed on the warrenty page:
• Twenty (20) years for all ceramic parts (dome, base, firebox and fire ring)
• Five (5) years for all metal parts (excluding cast-iron parts)
• One (1) year for all cast-iron parts (top vent or lid and fire grate)
• Thirty (30) days on thermometers and felt gaskets

The only rant on the cooker is the sealant they use on the air damper turned white when it got hot. So white glue showing on the red finish down by the damper

The rack is not porcelain coated, but it does have a nice "door" to just flip open to add wood chunks etc. vs. having to remove the rack.

It did cook nicely. They are definitely targeting eggs - as the rep touted the things they thought were designed "better" than an egg. Overall nice cooker.... but if it is the same price as an egg... I'd get the egg, since the customer service there is unparallelled.

My .02
According to the link below, their customer support really isn't as good as BGE.
http://www.cbbqa.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php?t10509.html

Kamado Joe is one of the newest additions to the ceramic world. My brother and cookteam partner had the pleasure to cook on one of these gems last weekend. He was so impressed with the quality that was put in the construction of this smoker. He said that the ceramic is a little bit thicker but the big improvement was that there is more room in the bottom for coal and all of the metal is powder coated. We are in the process of changing over our green egg cook team to Kamado Joe's. These things rock. By the way I now have 2 largwe green eggs for sale.

Kamado Joe is one of the newest additions to the ceramic world. My brother and cookteam partner had the pleasure to cook on one of these gems last weekend. He was so impressed with the quality that was put in the construction of this smoker. He said that the ceramic is a little bit thicker but the big improvement was that there is more room in the bottom for coal and all of the metal is powder coated. We are in the process of changing over our green egg cook team to Kamado Joe's. These things rock. By the way I now have 2 largwe green eggs for sale.

It seems each time Kamodo Joe is brought up, there is a first time poster from GA praising it.

Last edited:
Back