Tonight's Char Siu on the kettle (pr0n)

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had defrosted a pork butt with the intention of cooking it on Sunday but got so wrapped up in cooking for the "Mini" throwdown I didn't get around to it. I really wasn't keen on refreezing it and don't have time during this week to pull off a late night cook session. Therefore, I decided to go with some Char Siu (chinese bbq pork) which is a much shorter cook.

Last night I cut out the bone from the butt and then cut the 6+ lbs of shoulder into about 2" wide strips:
IMG_9571.jpg

then put the strips into a zip lock bag along with a couple jars of store bought char-siu sauce and a bottle of hoisin sauce:
IMG_9572.jpg

Tonight I got the OTP kettle fired up around 300 degrees with a couple chunks of cherry wood, put on the pork, drizzled on a little honey and brown sugar:
IMG_9577.jpg

I flipped the pieces about every 25 minutes each time adding honey & brown sugar to the side facing up. After about an hour at 300 I increased the temps to the 350-375 range and after 75 minutes of total cook time they were looking pretty good (IT was in the 175-185 range depending on the thickness of each piece):
IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

I pulled them and let them rest for a few minutes and then sliced a couple of pieces:
IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

I really ought to cook this more often.

Thanks for looking!

I haven't heard of this before...looks delicious...can you describe the taste, i.e., sweet, spicy, etc. Also, can the ingredients be found other than in a Chinese food store? Thanks

I sooo want to make these!

I read that you marinated them overnight. Have you ever tried for a shorter period? My thought was to marinate them starting around noon and then cook them up around 6pm. Too short a time? Thanks

This is how I do them on my BGE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787628&catid=1

This is a recipe I developed years ago when working in a chinese restaurant.

Sauce, BBQ, Red Pork Roast, Char Sui INGREDIENTS:
3 Cups Chinese Wine
3 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Soy Sauce,
Light beer
4 Cups Ketchup
1 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2-1 Cup Red Food Coloring
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/4 Cup Hot Chili Oil
Procedure: 1 Mix all in a 5 gallon bucket. Will marinate 8 Pork Butts and 20 slabs of ribs.
Recipe Type BBQ Sauce/Sauce
Recipe Source Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25

Sounds simple and looks phabulous!!

I am going to try this with some country style ribs...making it even easier to make.

I haven't heard of this before...looks delicious...can you describe the taste, i.e., sweet, spicy, etc. Also, can the ingredients be found other than in a Chinese food store? Thanks

These sauces are on the sweet side. I don't recall seeing these sauces at grocers other than Asian grocers but you should be able to find ingredients to put together your own marinade at the local grocer. Take a look at Woodmonkey's recipe (below). I have a similar recipe somewhere I can try to dig up but like the below, it calls for hoisin sauce which might be hard to find at your grocer.

I read that you marinated them overnight. Have you ever tried for a shorter period? My thought was to marinate them starting around noon and then cook them up around 6pm. Too short a time? Thanks

You can go a shorter time but I don't think the flavor is as strong. I just looked at one of the bottles now and it says "Marinate 16 oz pork with 5 tbsp sauce for 2 hrs...".

This is how I do them on my BGE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787628&catid=1

This is a recipe I developed years ago when working in a chinese restaurant.

Sauce, BBQ, Red Pork Roast, Char Sui INGREDIENTS:
3 Cups Chinese Wine
3 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Soy Sauce,
Light beer
4 Cups Ketchup
1 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2-1 Cup Red Food Coloring
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/4 Cup Hot Chili Oil
Procedure: 1 Mix all in a 5 gallon bucket. Will marinate 8 Pork Butts and 20 slabs of ribs.
Recipe Type BBQ Sauce/Sauce
Recipe Source Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25

I'll need to try your recipe sometime Richard! I like the rack Thirdeye made for you. I'm trying to design a rack for my XL Egg so I can hang char siu.

Back