THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mapperjay

Found some matches.
Soooooo, I saw Okie Sawbones had posted a Hawahiian chicken recipe which reminded me of an easy to make pulled pork Hawaiian style. Technically it's not BBQ since this version isn't roast on a grill or in a pit (difficult if you live in an apartment, condo or townhome) so perhaps it is cheating for me to stick it here in the forums, but it is quick and easy and guests love it and we never bring home leftovers. We make this when we don't have time to cook more elaborately (i.e. the house isn't clean and guests will be here in an hour).

4 lb Pork Shoulder
1 4oz bottle of Colgin (natural hickory) liquid smoke (Hey! I told you it was cheating!)
"rock" salt to taste (I can actually get Hawaiian salt here in Denver, so I will always use that)

Cut the pork into 1-2" chunks and toss in a pressure cooker :twitch:
cover with water and cook for 45 mins.
When it done, drain water and shred the pig while adding the bottle of liquid smoke and salt to taste.

That's it. Quick, dirty, and easy. But cheating on the whole BBQ grilling smoking thing. :icon_blush:

Last edited:
I know, right? I was skeptical at first too. Perhaps use half the bottle and test taste and go from there.

BTW, I use the 4oz bottle. Colgin brand of liquid smoke.

i never thought kalua pork got any smoke flavor. isn't it wrapped up in bananna leaves and buried underground? what makes this Hawaiian style?

rookiedad- the end results of the pork butt int he crock pot with liquid smoke, and hawaiian sea salt is very close in taste.. to the authentic one. I lived in Hawaii 3 years, and not sure if I could tell the difference.

I don't know. I was young when I had it the original way. This recipe came from Hawaiians. I guess just making do with what you've got.

(Crock pot! I hadn't thought of using one of those! Brilliant!)

Kalua pig has real minimal smoke flavor as some stated its in an imu underground and more like steamed and shredded pork that's really salted. I prefer pulled pork smoked and I like in Hawaii. But I do use my pulled pork to make Kalua pig cabbage.

Here is how I make Kalua Pork in a crockpot:
4-5 lb. Pork Butt
~2 Tbsps. Hickory flavored Liquid Smoke
Red Alaea Hawaiian Sea Salt

Trim excess fat and score pork butt. Rub with liquid smoke and sea salt. Toss into crockpot on low for 12 hours, turning once at halfway mark. Once done, it will easily shred, put into pan and moisten with leftover juices if desired.

Source: Learned from my Hawaiian mama.

Aloha!

Back