Is Rock Maple a Good Smoking Wood?

RevZiLLa

is One Chatty Farker
I picked up a couple of 25 year old pin decks from a bowling alley conversion and there are some scrap pieces of rock maple. I threw a few chunks into the smoker without meat and the smoke was subtle at first, but kind of sweet.

Has anybody used this stuff?

Rock maple is the same as sugar maple. Yes, i have used it several times before. It's got that maple sugar flavor.

Were these pieces already milled for flooring? If so, they may have already been treated with chemicals to keep insects at bay.

Use it all the time. Great stuff,

Seems like the stuff you used may be too dry for really good results?

25 year old 2 1/2" thick. I would make them into chips with a chisel and soak them. They cleave real nice and straight.

Were these pieces already milled for flooring? If so, they may have already been treated with chemicals to keep insects at bay.

I have no idea if they were treated, but they are not raw aged wood. definitely processed.

Well, when they process wood, especially flooring and furniture wood, they usually spray it with chemicals to keep the insects at bay when it's at the mill. It may not be a concern for every one though. Just sharing what I know.

I don't use lumber because you never know what kind of nasties may be in it but I did pick up some sugar maple chunks today that I am looking forward to trying out. Good luck, bro.

I'm leaning to not using it. When in doubt, don't make your family sick! Now I want some non-lumber maple...

I haven't smoked with maple wood, but I've used maple lump and it's farking awesome.

As to the wood you have - to quote Big Brother Smoke - when in doubt, throw it out!

Of course rock maple is good. However, after the boards were glued together with gawd knows what type of glue and then covered with a finish, and then subjected to bowling lane oil for 25 years................you might want to rething burning it in a BBQ pit. Campfires would be okay, tho'.

Back