Calzone

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My strategy for the Italian Throwdown was to find as many Italian sounding ingrediants as possible and stuff them into one item.

That could only mean one thing CALZONE

I started with my making my favorite pizza sauce with my favorite helper.

IMG_4515_zps9ed7b6ff.jpg

Notice the concentration

IMG_4517_zps430887b9.jpg

IMG_4522_zpsa815be11.jpg

I had already made my soon to be famous pale ale dough. I know pale ale isn't exactly "Italian" but I'm hoping for a little slack. I mean I'm sure they drink beer in Italy. :focus:

IMG_4512_zps6c85d4d2.jpg

Now for all the Italian Ingrediants. For full effect please imagine Tony Soprano reading this like a grocery list from Carmela.

Roasted Tomatoes, Green Olives, Roasted Peppers, Hot Cappacolla, Salami, Pepperoni, Asiago, Mozzarella, and Parmigiano Reggiano

IMG_4524_zps601b5106.jpg

IMG_4526_zps58454282.jpg

IMG_4527_zps82abc8e8.jpg

Add some more meats and cheese

IMG_4528_zps80a60a18.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the final product before I put it in the Weber. After folding over I brushed the top with an egg wash and more Mozzarella Cheese. Then off to the Weber

And this is how it turned out.

IMG_4533_zps8d5af03b.jpg

I also forgot to take a picture the actual grilling/baking but you can see the poor guy out in the cold warming the atmosphere

IMG_4532_zps74ba10ad.jpg

And now to cut and eat

IMG_4543_zpsf6be72b3.jpg

IMG_4541_zpsb5ac1e97.jpg

This was a big hit. The 16 year old actually offered to pay me to make another one. I made two and only crumbs remain :grin:

This was fun. Thanks for looking.

Looks fantastic. I may have to explore one of those pizza cooking contraptions for my kettle!,

Ric you have a couple of real winners...both your helper and your calzone!
Best of luck with the throwdown. Can't see how you could miss! :grin:

Awsome!!!! We did our first Weber pizzas last night, acceptable for a first try but nothing to brag about. I've been thinking about buying the pizza oven mod you have for the Weber, I assume you love it? Do you set the fire to one side or directly under the pizza stone?

I assume you love it? Do you set the fire to one side or directly under the pizza stone?

I have a love hate relationship with pizza that has nothing to do with the Weber or the mod. I do love the mod but always struggle with the peel. The calzone was great because it was easier (for me) to slide unto the grill.

With the mod the recommendation is to bank the coals at the back so you get more of the oven effect. To really get high temps you can then add wood chunks.

Back