Brining Bags

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to purchase brining bags?

I need a HUGE one (24lb fresh ham) to do some curing.

Thanks!

Eric

For something that size I'd use a food grade bucket. I just got done brining a 30lb ham and it barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I would worry about the bag ripping.

Reynolds turkey roasting bags.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/products/oven-bags/

4 x 8 lb chickens and 2 gallons of brine:

photo%2520%25283%2529-PP.jpg

I got food grade buckets from a local grocery store It used to have frosting The buckets held a 20lb turkey Costco meat and fish dept has large bags to put your purchase in you can use that and putit a sturdier container Gore uses then to cure Salmon

I would use the biggest pot I have. 30 qt holds just about annything.

Double bag it in unscented garbage bags and put it in a bucket, probably the cheapest way

Hams and Turkeys can be done in a Reynolds Brining Bag, they can be found around Thanksgiving and Christmas time, but I am sure some stores carry them for the whole year. These can be set in a 5 gallon bucket or a heavy duty roasting pan to keep the bag supported.

I use Meat Tubs with Liners. The Tubs fit into my BBQ refrigerator and the liners make clean-up a breeze. You can easily brine 30 - 40 lb in a single tub.
Click the picture to go to the items..

Meat tubs

Meat tub liners

Other than specifically for ham / turkeys, Brining bags / equipment is subjective to your volume..

I only use food grade items, some do not, it's a personal issue with me.

Small amounts to be brined can be done in doubled ziplock bags, vac-sealed bags, or vacuum containers.

Larger amounts some people use Stainless Steel Steam Table (hotel) pans with food liners made for them.

Some people use 5 gal food grade buckets or stainless steel stock pots as posted above. Food grade buckets can be bought from a home brewing store, or some restaurants / schools that buy pickles in them are happy to give them away.

I called Ziplock and their Big Bags brand are food safe. That's the bags that they advertise for storing things like clothing or blankets.

I have another call in to them regarding their totes, which should be large enough to hold pretty much anything.

Thanks for all the replies!

Eric

Back