• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Practice...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I did a practice run on some spares yesterday...I think I went a little heavy on the rub because my judge (wife) said she tasted some grit. Other than that they turned out pretty good. I didn't have a turn in box to put them in but I tried to slice them as if I did. What do you think?

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

JD, it does look a bit like there is too much rub on there.

Also, it looks to me as if the ribs are not quite done? Did the meat pull easily off the bone where you bit it with the rest of it staying on the bone? Normally, i have bit more pull back from the bone when my spare ribs are "competition tender" so that also gets me to wondering if they were cooked long enough?

I don't mean my comments to be critical. More of a question if I am reading the photos correctly or not?

JD uses grits in his rub-pass it on!

Smart arse...:twisted: Hey...how'd you guys do at Salem?

JD, it does look a bit like there is too much rub on there.

Also, it looks to me as if the ribs are not quite done? Did the meat pull easily off the bone where you bit it with the rest of it staying on the bone? Normally, i have bit more pull back from the bone when my spare ribs are "competition tender" so that also gets me to wondering if they were cooked long enough?

I don't mean my comments to be critical. More of a question if I am reading the photos correctly or not?

You're exactly right...I did pull them a little early as we were pressed for time...they could have gone another half hour to an hour easy and been much better. Good observation...and thanks for the feedback! :p

Back