MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
leanza
Babbling Farker

Default Legends of Texas Barbecue- The book.

Reading "Legends of Texas Barbecue". Enjoying the pics and historical accounts.

The author Rob Walsh, on page 38, refers to gas fired BBQ ovens and says "Unfortunately, no gas-fired oven has been invented that can faithfully replicate the flavor of an old fashioned barbecue pit-yet". He refers to ones that use a some wood for smoke.

I've heard here differ.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanza View Post
Reading "Legends of Texas Barbecue". Enjoying the pics and historical accounts.

The author Rob Walsh, on page 38, refers to gas fired BBQ ovens and says "Unfortunately, no gas-fired oven has been invented that can faithfully replicate the flavor of an old fashioned barbecue pit-yet". He refers to ones that use a some wood for smoke.
Too true.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Kack
Full Fledged Farker

Flavor is flavor. Gas tastes like gas
Kack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
tubadude
is one Smokin' Farker

Dude knows what he talkin' bout!
tubadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

This is one of my favorite books of all time, lots of good info including the statment you posted here!

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

This is the God's Honest Truth. Of course he is talking pits here not Ovens.
So first the difference is pits and ovens-
THEN Pits using all wood
Then Ovens using part wood and Gas.

Anyone that would disagree with this statement (and we are not even talking about which is superior) is tragically mistaken or not paying attention to the nuances of the claims. For those of you that want to chime in and say that your BBQ is better on your Southern Pride than you can do in a PIT you will lose the argument, because by virtue of it being better, it cannot be the same.

For Instance. At one of the Lighthouse Charity Events I tried to volunteer at a certain person who had recently taken over the operation, took a perfectly fine Oyler Pit (actually an OVEN which was designed to pack with wood and cook great Q - no gas - no blowers) added to it a Gas system and all sorts of ridiculous controls. Jim Pucchetti and I just looked at each other. We both new this was gonna suck.

From what I heard a few weeks later the only way Jim could get good Q outta that Pit (that tasted more like Q and not smoke enhanced roast) was by going back to just the wood and draft. So - same machine - the gas affected the outcome in two ways, by too much heat and updraft, and also the high moisture content.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T GET GOOD Q FROM GAS OVEN WITH LOGS FOR FLAVOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It means that apples to apples it failed there to compare. Hey, use thicker logs and you are all set.

BUT THEN THERE IS THE SECOND CLAIM -- that it is not equal to an all wood PIT... and in the case of his book, he defines a pit in the pages before. We also have discussed at length the difference between the DRUM which is a hybrid I feel between a real pit (meat drippings add smoke which also flavors) and an oven. We have all marked the difference of the meat when compared to the same meat cooked on a offset or backwoods or something. There is a Pit Affect. I get a Pit affect on my Brazos that I cannot get with the Meat Mamma 3000

in addition, like hot and fast, if your gonna cook on a real pit, not a pit/oven hybrid like at Kreuz, Smittys, Blacks, Taylor, and such, you will have to change your rubb temp and add a mop probably. This you do not need on a drum really because its an Oven with pit characteritics.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with popdaddy. No way can you get the same smoke ring or penatration from gas + wood smoke as opposed to charcoal/wood pits. I call it a "phony smoke ring."
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
GreasePig
is One Chatty Farker

Somehow when I saw this thread pop up earlier today I just KNEW Donnie would be in here!

I wish YOU would write a book on Texas BBQ Donnie!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I did, but the publisher said - "There is already a Girls Gone Wild Series."

The book started out all right but kept deviating in theme to hot chicks.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
I agree with popdaddy. No way can you get the same smoke ring or penatration from gas + wood smoke as opposed to charcoal/wood pits. I call it a "phony smoke ring."
In an official capacity I want to distance myself from this comment. RESPECTFULLY. Now the only Phony smoke ring I could think of would be a chemical one.

I also defend the gas/log oven type of smoke ring - it is real alright. Riings don't always perfectly form on full pits (not pit/ovens). But rings and flavor are not related as much as you think.

Not that I disagree with all of what northwest says (unofficially), just it all depends on some interesting factors. I saw Vincel Mares make some incredible brisket that had no smoke ring whatsoever it was cooked so fast. Depending on the humidity and Bobby Muellers mood, his briskets can have the same thing, plenty of smoke flavor and no ring. This happens when you cook a damn 14 pound packer in 5 hours, LOL. We all know what they cook on too.

I think the pit/oven cook has a different flavor profile due to the affect of the meat juices on the fire and that bath of mist that lands on the meat as a result more than the "smoke"

Respectfully yours

Samples of some of the best Beef and Spare rib BBQ in the world (on a good day) and not much of a textbook smokering..

Attachment 33214

Attachment 33215

Attachment 33216

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
leanza
Babbling Farker

As I go though this book, I will post intresting comments by the author for disccussion.

As a side note to flavor profiles and cookers. The book talks about the "pits" they would dig in the ground, where they would burn down wood to coals and put the meat on top. Man, that would be intresting.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanza View Post
As I go though this book, I will post intresting comments by the author for disccussion.

As a side note to flavor profiles and cookers. The book talks about the "pits" they would dig in the ground, where they would burn down wood to coals and put the meat on top. Man, that would be intresting.
It is....BUT, I warn ya.... if you saw a real one back in the day... there would be lots of simmering pots of briskets getting ready to me smoked when the ribs got put on.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
leanza
Babbling Farker

Looks like the German folk played a big part in the history of Texas BBQ.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
leanza
Babbling Farker

And a lot of black folk and Tejano folk contributed to traditional Texas Q.

As I continue to read this book the thing that comes across is that simple is good. From rubs like salt and pepper only to sauces, wood, to cookers. It dont have to be fancy to put out real good Q.

Alot of talk about cooking indirectly or searing well and finishing indirect. I'd like to do more of that.

Also talk about keeping you pork ribs to 31/2 lbs and under as they would be the most tender. I usually try to do this but the cyro pacs usually contain two racks and it's hard to judge weight.

And Funk, you seem to live close to the epicenter of alot of traditon.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

The second picture....looks like a great way to start the weekend....:)
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote