MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #31
BBQ&Beyond
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'd wager a good sum that what is in the bottle you get aint the same as what they use you really think Paul Newman used that crap that is in that bottle... I got some Ocean front property in AZ I can let you have below market price.

Look, If I develop a flavor profile that wins on a steady basis I can make a whole new rub just not as good and put it in a bottle and sell it as my brand. Others will buy it thinking ts the same and looking for my success. Increasing my bottom line and swing the odds for a GC in my favor, and that is a WIN.
Ill take that wager and you'll lose. I am on the 3 eyz team and we use the rub straight out of the package on all the kcbs meats, no mixing, no added ingredients, no modifications. There is a case in the back of the truck and when we need more we go get a bag and empty it into the shaker.

What you're suggesting isn't cool and not at all what we do. Feel free to ask Dan, Chris, Dan Mc, or anyone who has ever seen us cook at a comp.
BBQ&Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why I use rubs...

Simply Marvelous, Steph has developed flavor profiles that I really like, they tend to a sweet side, but, that is easy to deal with. I like how the rub he has made handles, the grain size and how it behaves really works for me.

The Rub Company, I like how Ryan has captured the flavor profiles of California BBQ in his rubs. I also like the texture and handling of his rubs. It is my 'go-to' for tri-tip. I will often mix his rubs with SM rubs as they complement really well.

Three-Eyz, that rub is just plain good. Whether it is actually their comp rub or not, it has a great savory flavor. It is one of the two rubs I will use if I want to fancy up a brisket or tri-tip.

Smokin' Guns Hot, see Three-Eyz

Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust-no salt, so far the only decent so salt rub I have tried. And I like that it is a premade dust that I can use as a dust on the cooker.

Todd's Dirt, nice and herby, a good counterpoint and addition if I am looking for something different and savory.

In the end, I make my own rubs as a base for almost all the cooks I do, but, it is heavily a Santa Maria style rub, the commercial stuff fills in those additional sweet and savory flavors when I want more than salt and pepper.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ&Beyond View Post
Ill take that wager and you'll lose. I am on the 3 eyz team and we use the rub straight out of the package on all the kcbs meats, no mixing, no added ingredients, no modifications. There is a case in the back of the truck and when we need more we go get a bag and empty it into the shaker.

What you're suggesting isn't cool and not at all what we do. Feel free to ask Dan, Chris, Dan Mc, or anyone who has ever seen us cook at a comp.
Do you ever change flavor profiles based on regions?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #34
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Do you ever change flavor profiles based on regions?
Nope

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
I'd wager a good sum that what is in the bottle you get aint the same as what they use you really think Paul Newman used that crap that is in that bottle... I got some Ocean front property in AZ I can let you have below market price.

Look, If I develop a flavor profile that wins on a steady basis I can make a whole new rub just not as good and put it in a bottle and sell it as my brand. Others will buy it thinking ts the same and looking for my success. Increasing my bottom line and swing the odds for a GC in my favor, and that is a WIN.
Its true, we use that crap in the bottle that we sell. Didn't always and who knows what the future will bring. But last season, 100% out of the bottle.

A flavor profile, IMO, is more than just a rub.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Ok, I'm good with that, but the question that begs to be asked......
"WHY" are they better?
What makes them better than ours? Is it a secret ingredient, is it the "perfect" combination of spices?
We can buy quality product, just like they can, so I'm not buying the theory that they're getting better stuff. Not by much anyway.
^ +1....
ButtBurner has the answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
In my case, I think one reason is they use fresher and more consistent ingredients.

I find that I may make a certain rub to try, and have to buy some off the wall spice I have no other use for.

So, if I am not crazy about that rub, the spice just sits there unused, getting stale and old.

I may pull it out later and use it on something else, it might be good or it might not.

Its just a lot of expense to try something new I may or may not like, and have some oddball spices left over if I dont like it.

I have some now that I should probably throw out and make room for others

I have some basic rubs that use common ingredients that I make all the time, for those it makes sense.
Some commercial rubs used by teams are NOT mixed by the team at all, but rather contracted out to a commercial packaging company that follows specific guidelines and specified quality criteria.

My friend was a national BBQ competitor, and just at The Nugget Rib Fest in Reno he would go through almost 500 lbs of rub on that weekend alone. That was just the rub used on food and not sold as rub to the public. It was almost impossible to get all of the items, mix them, package them, all in a reasonable time and then transport them to each and every event. He found it much easier to have the items mixed and delivered to the events. Only what he sold was packaged and trucked to his home.

What he sells is exactly the same as he uses in competition.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 03-06-2013 at 03:09 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Problem I found with a lot of (not all) commercial rubs is that the first ingredient is salt. I understand salt can make some foods taste better but usually there a bit to salty. I made my same rub for years and always came in second or third with ribs then last year I decided to make a new one. I was cooking pork loin for a friends wedding reception and when I opened the smoker I knew I had hit the mark with this rub. The next weekend we did a comp and finally nailed first place with our ribs. Also we were vending pulled pork and had many many comments of how our pulled pork was so much better than the rest of the teams. I will admit you have to use the freshest spices you can find and I also understand it's up to individual taste. You have to think of what taste profile your looking for I think. Not to say there is anything wrong with commercial rubs because there isn't I just think when I'm at a comp. I want everything to be from MY recipes including rubs and sauces. But that's just my opinion.

I used to think the same way...

I agree some commercial rubs are mostly salt and / or sugar, but many others are not...

Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #38
IamMadMan

Quote:
Different strokes.... I like playing with my food ergo I mix my own. Mad Man thank that young man for me I wish him well on his "Adventure" I know your proud of him.
Thanks "Bludawg", I passed your well wishes on to him, and he replied "Thank You" for your well wishes.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Re: My lesson Learned in BBQ Rubs Home made vs Commercially made

Wouldn't it be safe to say that most of the popular rubs on the market started as homemade? I wouldn't say that the commercial producers used to bring these rubs to market made them any better, just a little more consistent from batch to batch.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #40
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i've loved every simply marvelous and plowboys rub i've tried. it's worth the money, in my opinion. i've always admired and respected the folks that make their own rubs but i only do it when i run out and don't have enough time to order online before my next cook. i'm just not in to making my own specialty rubs........others have put the time and money in to do it and i'll buy theirs. cant beat S&P either

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #41
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
cant beat S&P either
Yup. Sometimes, just for the sake of perspective, it's good to go back to a solid reference point.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #42
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Why are they better?

It's a crapshoot...
It really is just a crap shoot.

Anyways, i was to lazy to read through the whole thread, but this "commercial small sized rub" was fantastic (imo, see crap shoot someone else might not like it) on ribs.

Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Wouldn't it be safe to say that most of the popular rubs on the market started as homemade? I wouldn't say that the commercial producers used to bring these rubs to market made them any better, just a little more consistent from batch to batch.
Yes, this would be a correct statement as the developer of SM rubs.