MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

First Smoke!!! Yeah baby! Ok not the best pork shoulder but the price was right. Almost 8 lbs. purchased at Walmart. Burned smoke about 1 1/2 hours before adding meat. I was pleasantly surprised to see how little lump charcoal was needed to finish cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm_IMG_2683.JPG (130.5 KB, 870 views)
gmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

it turned out good
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good! Out of curiosity why did you make your handles vertical?
I used 3 screws on mine but made sure they were all long enough that the grate could never fall in. Now on the rebuild I turned around one and spring loaded it.
Works pretty well so far.

I used a thread lock nut on the outside so I don't have to worry about it falling off.
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
I just tore my UDS down and gave it a new paint job, fire box and vents.
My advise to you is to put your handles just below the the first ring or 14" from the top. Makes it a lot easier to carry. Make sure you use a good sealing clear coat. I neglected this and got a rusty drum after the first rain.
Anyway this is mine as it sits in the garage. Just finished the re-assembly a few hours ago.
Sealing Clear coat? which i had thought of that. does it need to be heat resistant?

Yours looks Great! I really like the exhaust pipe. ;-)

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Looks good! Out of curiosity why did you make your handles vertical?
I used 3 screws on mine but made sure they were all long enough that the grate could never fall in. Now on the rebuild I turned around one and spring loaded it.
Works pretty well so far.

I used a thread lock nut on the outside so I don't have to worry about it falling off.
thanks! I like you spring loaded bolts. Great idea.

I made the handles vertical for two reasons. 1. the attachment points were very narrow and screws small , installed horizontally i didn't want them to bend or break the narrow bolts. 2. install vertically with my elbows at 90 degrees at my sides i can easily grab the vertical handles without bending my wrists. can carry with all grates and charcoal basket with charcoal. But really need to get wheels in this puppy.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
it turned out good
Thanks!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDean View Post
Nice job. Looks like my drum. Heat shield, some cooks will call for a heat shield, some will not. I bought a universal cover from WalMart to cover my drum. Cheep and thin. But it works.

Thanks!

I bought a char broil cover on sale a Home depot. didn't fit exactly but good enough. Then i found out after the first heavy rain that the seams leak. So i ended up covering the cover with a cheap clear shower curtain. Roll with the punches. keep moving forward.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #23
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I made the handles vertical for two reasons. 1. the attachment points were very narrow and screws small , installed horizontally i didn't want them to bend or break the narrow bolts. 2. install vertically with my elbows at 90 degrees at my sides i can easily grab the vertical handles without bending my wrists. can carry with all grates and charcoal basket with charcoal. But really need to get wheels in this puppy.[/QUOTE]

You must be really strong or mine is heavier than most. I'm going to put handles lower so I can carry it strait armed and have it not on the ground. I like the idea of wheels but I don't like the look of them.

My thought for wheels is a bit much but I like to be unique. I want to make a base that will clip on and off fairly quickly and attach wheels to it with a hinged pin set up. This will allow me to switch from drum to drum and only need one set of wheels. It will also allow me to utilize multiple different designs since I have a few more to build.
Daggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok so i buit this thing. My UDS. Smoked my first Pork Butt. I was told it turned out goood. But i did not have any type of power draft yet ($). So i used a new blow dryer (only $19). This worked but i had to constantly go turn it on. 2 to 3 times an hour. Yeah 11 hours later the meat was good. But wht a pain. So now getting ready for my second cook. Im moving on up.... To temperature controlled bliss. I can sit inside drinking my whiskey in air conditioned comfort. Cable TV, internet, other chores yeah like making my own BBQ sauce, cole slaw, etc. So here is a couple of pics of the power draft unit i picked up an Auger controller online for a $149. Yeah i know a lot cheaper than a $400 stoker or $360 for a CyberQ Wifi. Either of these units would make me happier with Wifi. But it's BBQ now or wait for funds. Yeah thats right... lets cook now.

I did have to do one modification to the blower unit in order to get this unit to fit my 3/4in. shut off valve. So back to home depot for steel pipe fittings. another 3/4in. short thread pipe and a flange should work nicely. And it did!!

so here's the pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm_IMG_2696.JPG (159.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg sm_IMG_2699.JPG (141.2 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg sm_IMG_2701.JPG (145.1 KB, 839 views)

Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I

You must be really strong or mine is heavier than most. I
Don't get me wrong. With grills in place wiyth charcoal it's heavy. I can't carry it a long way. But with the vertical handles i can go from the cover of the roof to the open porch area in just a few steps.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a graph of my latest cook last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boston_oct_7_2012.jpg (47.7 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by gmatt; 10-10-2012 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: attached pic did not show

Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #27
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Did you open it up for a while when it dropped below 100*? That's a huge drop!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #28
gmatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Not really. I think my iGrill is not calibrated. I lowered the temp on my controller to get longer cook. My charcoal burned in one direction. since the lit coals were no longer touching the rest of the coals the fire went out. Bottom line is that I was trying to run the uds at a temp of 200 degrees. I now think that is too low to sustain lit coals.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

You might find that your UDS prefers temps 240-280ish. If so, you should roll with it rather than fight to keep 'em down.

Nice cooker (I would of left that cool original paint though!)

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

What brand did you use for the clear coat? Nice UDS guys!
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote