MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Unhappy TG Turkey smoke...maybe not?

Been planning on smoking a turkey the last couple weeks on my UDS. Now the day is almost here, and they are calling for a high temp of 20 degrees and 10-20 mph wind, which means wind chill below zero. I'm pretty sure the drum can handle it if I do some creative wind blocking, but what about the Maverick-73. Has anyone used it in these temps? Cold and electronics don't generally go together.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

I left mine out on the rain one day it still works
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Maybe leave it close to the drum, there will probably be a warmer area close to the drum. Personally, I would not risk it. Run the turkey in the drum for 2 hours, then bring it in and finish in the oven, where the Maverick will be fine.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

we are supposed to be -20 wind chills tomorrow. i have been scrambling trying to come up with blanket type insulation that can take 300+ degrees with out melting or leaving itchy fibers on my bird.(fiberglass) not coming up with anything. any ideas?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't give up on a good smoke!!!!
Get some cheap hand warmers to lay around the Mav, or as stated, just keep it close to the drum, maybe throw a rag/towel on it too to keep some of the radiant heat from the drum to keep it cozy. I'd say it'll likely be fine anyway.

I've cooked with my Weber remote thermo in the rain, cold, everything (within reason) and no issues. Some creative wind blockage and maybe a blankey for the drum will help lots.

So far in recent holiday cooks, I've pulled off great things in the midst of rain, snow, sleet, wind, and COLD. NEVER regret toughing it out.

We're forecasted with heavy rain, wind and thunderstorms, but you can bet your arse my two turks are goin on the stick burner as planned! I'll utilize tarp, rope, EZup, whatever it takes!!

SMOKE ON!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyinsd View Post
we are supposed to be -20 wind chills tomorrow. i have been scrambling trying to come up with blanket type insulation that can take 300+ degrees with out melting or leaving itchy fibers on my bird.(fiberglass) not coming up with anything. any ideas?
How much heat will those water heater jackets take? Or how about a welding blanket? That should take some heat.
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
goro25
On the road to being a farker

[QUOTE=landarc;1466110]Maybe leave it close to the drum, there will probably be a warmer area close to the drum. Personally, I would not risk it. Run the turkey in the drum for 2 hours, then bring it in and finish in the oven, where the Maverick will be fine.[/QUOTE]

goro25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyzer View Post
Been planning on smoking a turkey the last couple weeks on my UDS. Now the day is almost here, and they are calling for a high temp of 20 degrees and 10-20 mph wind, which means wind chill below zero. I'm pretty sure the drum can handle it if I do some creative wind blocking, but what about the Maverick-73. Has anyone used it in these temps? Cold and electronics don't generally go together.

your maverick will be fine. i have used mine at much lower temps without problem. the unit will display as low as 14 F, so i am quite positive your balmy 20 wont even phase it. remember wind chill is only a theory that factors in elevated heat loss rates from heat generating objects (like living critters). they have no effect on things like your wireless thermo. unless the wind blows it off the table. hope this helps ease your concerns.

as far as the wind on the drum i did a turkey a couple weeks ago at about 35 degrees and rain,and it came out fine. as noted just open the garage doors. most of the smoke will blow or get sucked out but you will be able to shield the drum from direct wind.

good luck, and happy turkey day.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

tip: if anybody has any of the old green wool army blankets...they make great insulation for a drum.

10 F and windy as hell, and she is holding 315 with only 2 holes open.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You should be fine with those temps. Done it a bunch of times with no need to insulate anything. Keep your therm on the downwind side if you can. Put something in front of your air intake to block the wind. Good luck and go for it!!!!!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote