MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cold Weather and BGE

Hey it,s getting windy and cold over here. Usually use my gasser in the winter. Does the BGE work better then the kettle in these conditions ? from some of the posts it sounds like it would

Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

When winter rolls around here in the northeast, my BGE is the cooker that sees the most action by far. I bring it up from the patio to the porch so I don't have to shovel my way in to cook. The BGE is awesome in winter weather, and holds temperature very well.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

I would say that yes, it really does. I love my performer, but it stays under the cover during winter when its cold and windy. The eggs get a workout in the winter because they are easy to control because of the fine tuning on the vents, and the insulation helps your cooker ignore freezing temps more than a non insulated cooker.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdude555 View Post
I would say that yes, it really does. I love my performer, but it stays under the cover during winter when its cold and windy. The eggs get a workout in the winter because they are easy to control because of the fine tuning on the vents, and the insulation helps your cooker ignore freezing temps more than a non insulated cooker.
How do you clean out the ashes ? on my webber I hose it down with hot water

Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoolcold View Post
The bottom door is where you open it all the way.
I have a tool called an ash tool, looks like an inch high bit L shaped piece of metal on a rod. You just rake out the ash into a metal container.
Very simple to use.

Biggest problem I have heard is the lid gasket might freeze shut.
Just take off the top cover, light a starter cube and drop it in, wait a few minutes and the ice is melted and you open up the top and fire it up.

I keep my lg BGE in the garage and have not experienced the freezing problem as of yet.
I use my egg year round here in Michigan.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillcoolcold View Post
To clean mine I remove the left over Lump and remove the Fire Grate to clean the Fire Bowl. You need to make sure the air holes are clear of ash as well. I only clean mine out after several cooks and the ash has built up a good pile.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use mine year round in Iowa. Used in wind chills down to 40 below and temp stays.

On a side note a couple years ago my guru got condensation in fan tube and froze causing temp to drop.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I've Q'ed in snow storms several times with mine (admittedly not as nasty as the storms in other areas) - no problems at all.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

To keep the BGE from freezing closed, I stick a small dowel between the bottom and the lid when I close it.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #10
LMAJ

I am over in PA and my Egg stays on the deck all year round and is my go to cooker. My gasser is a storage unit for my eggcessories.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
PCBBQCO
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have two large BGE and use them all winter long. Have not noticed any increase in fuel consumption. Still do overnight cooks down into below zero temps. Have had several times when I could not even light the gas grill because the temps were so low. Charcoal lights at about any temp and works great. As for cleaning ash out, I wait until fire is completly out, remove unburnt charcoal and use a shop vac to vacuum out the ash.
PCBBQCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Norcoredneck

Have used mine in a chilling 45 degrees here in So Cal without issue.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

It's 45 in Chicago right now

The only thing that i have noticed, and this should be no surprise, is that it takes longer to stabilize at my desired cooking temp. All of that ceramic and the fuel are cold and it takes longer to get everything up to temp. I just allow extra time.

Here's a fun thread from a New Year's Day cook from a couple of years ago...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=35637

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
chillcoolcold
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBBQCO View Post
I have two large BGE and use them all winter long. Have not noticed any increase in fuel consumption. Still do overnight cooks down into below zero temps. Have had several times when I could not even light the gas grill because the temps were so low. Charcoal lights at about any temp and works great. As for cleaning ash out, I wait until fire is completly out, remove unburnt charcoal and use a shop vac to vacuum out the ash.
LOL I use my shop vac too for the webber. Lots of spare filters on hand always fun when I bang them on rocks to clean them out COUGH COUGH!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

I actually got my egg in February and started using it right away. I used it all winter even for long smokes like pork butts and it kept temp even in -20 Celsius (-4 F for y'all down south).... The ceramic makes for an amazing insulator...

I clean using an ash tool - scrape the ashes into a shoebox which fits nicely underneath the vent and doesn't make a mess... then just empty the box into the garbage. Usually only clean out the ash after every three or so cooks depending on the amount built up... Don't even touch the gasser till May...lol