First Time Comp

daedalus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I will be competing for the first time this weekend. It is an amature only backyard type competition. The catagories are Ribs, Chicken, and Anything But. Since I have never done this before, I would like to ask for any tips, thought, or opinions anyone might like to share. I think I pretty much have my recipies and timing worked out for the ribs and chicken. For the Anything But category, I think I am going to do some scotch eggs in the smoker...maybe with some Blackberry Chipotle Dipping sauce. The ribs and chicken will be KCBS rules, but I think the Anything But can be presented however. For the sake of simplicity, however, my intention is to do all-parsley boxes for all three entries. For the Scotch Eggs, I will include 6 whole ones(maybe on sticks), and an additional one cut in half so judges will know what they are getting.

Again, I have never done this before, so I am sure there is a lot I have not yet thought about. Thanks in advance.

anythign butt - i would do some expensive beef and add some lobster for a surf and turf
judges love that

Do a practice cook with all categories. As you go into the house for this or that - write down what you use. That way you will be more likely to take what you really need to the comp instead of packing a bunch of stuff most of which is not needed.

anythign butt - i would do some expensive beef and add some lobster for a surf and turf
judges love that
I'll bet they do...in this case though, the organizer has defined the anything but catagory as anything but meat...the dish can have meat as an ingredient, but it cannot just be a steak, or salmon fillet, or anything like that.

Back