Smoked baked beans ?

Goose

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Gents,Ladies,
I am making a half chaffing dish of savory baked beans for a party, how long would you keep them in the smoker?
(the things you get inspired to do around here LOL)
In the oven I would leave them till the bacon is crispy and the onions have caramelized on top.

TIA

I usually crisp the bacon (cut into chunks) and cook the onions before smoking. But I usually smoke around 2 - 3 hours.

About same time here (2-3 hrs). I also cook them on lower grate below the butt or brisket, etc, for the added flavor of the drippings.

Depending on the temp anywhere between 2-3 hours. As already mentioned I like putting mine on the bottom rack and let the drippings from a nice butt or brisket make it's way into the beans. :lol:

I also do them 2-3 hours on the bottom grate. I leave them on even longer with the UDS and just add a bit of AJ or AJ/broth mix as needed since I use them as a quasi water pan. Do the same with pintos

Definitely pre-cook the bacon, and while you're at it, might as well saute the onions (and peppers, if you use them) in the bacon grease. Also, the real key is as other's mentioned above; make sure you put the beans on a lower rack so they catch all the drippy goodness of whatever else you are smoking. They need to be on at least 2 hours at 225; more is better depending on how thick you want the sauce to be.

One of the more popular posts on my blog was the recipe for smoke beans. Check it out for full instructions... :biggrin:

That's about like my concoction, I also add about 1 1/2 cups of my favorite bourbon(Makers or Basil Haydens). 1/2 cup in the beans and 1 cup for the cook.

Back