• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ideas for a mobile kitchen

bocephus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Oh folks, I have been wanting to enter compititions and to do some catering. My father in law (Basiclly) has had alot of my que and thinks that it is a great way (As do most everyone else I know). However he has decided that if I were to start making money off of this he wants in. He has told me that if I am willing to take a partner he will front money to get this thing rolling. He will be building me a smoker... or too, I belive a lang clone, and a big stumps clone. He also has a stepvan (Box truck if you will) and said that he will make this into a mobile kitchen for me. My question for you all is what should I put in this mobile kitchen, and how should I lay it out?
Pictures of your set up would be cool, and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time :mrgreen:

Tell him if you dont want to to contact me....................I have purchased a step van that has a 15ft by 7 ft back that I am in the process of turning into a kitchen. I also have a Lang 84. Check with you board of health.

There is a guy here in my town that has a unit thats pretty unique. Picture a 7 x 12 building with clap board siding and shingled roof and about a 5 foot(roughly) long covered deck/porch. Now picture it on a trailer. His wood burning smoker is on the covered deck and the smoke stacks are actually big rig chromed exhaust pipes. He uses only Hickory.

The hitch is under the smoker and on the back end is the ordering window. Its a very slick looking unit and has built him quite a following. I wish he had a web site so you could see it. He sets up in town at a site I think 4 days a week and caters on the weekends.

He started it 5 years ago I think thats what he told me, as a sideline and has since became a full time gig for him and his wife.

I'm deffinatly all about this, I just kinda want some ideas of what I put in, all I can really think of is a 3 tub sink, a fridge, and a prep table

My advice would be to go and do a local competition first. Then after you are done you will know what you need, don't need and how you want things set up. You can also get ideas from other teams and their set ups. Everyone has there own way of doing things so you dont want to build something and find out it doesn't work for you.

I would recommend a visit with the health dept.
It is important to find out what they require(IN YOUR AREA) and then decide how you are going to achieve it.
A visit with some competition/VENDOR teams will open your eyes to the possibilities.
And a world of experiences.
jon

yeah this all sounds like good ideas, I was kinda just brain storming on here, I figured that some of you compete and might have trailers and such that I could look at on here instead of waiting for a comp...

Back