Burnt Ends question

DaveT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What exactly are burnt ends? Are the ends of the Flat considered burnt ends or is it only the Point? Does the Point need to be cooked longer after separating from the Flat to be burnt ends? Pics would be great!

Burnt end are the point removed from the flat after the smoke and then cubed and sauced and put back into the smoker until the sauce has seriously carmalized....

True burnt ends (as I understand it) are those ends and pieces that overcooked and tend to fall off when slicing. They are kind of crunchy and the flavor is really concentrated. When these pieces became popular, folx began creating their own burnt ends by taking the point, cutting it into cubes and reseasoning it and/or adding sauce to the,. Then they pop them back into the smoker for a few more hours to "burn" them.

True burnt ends (as I understand it) are those ends and pieces that overcooked and tend to fall off when slicing. They are kind of crunchy and the flavor is really concentrated. When these pieces became popular, folx began creating their own burnt ends by taking the point, cutting it into cubes and reseasoning it and/or adding sauce to the,. Then they pop them back into the smoker for a few more hours to "burn" them.

The Mista has it right!

Burnt end are the point removed from the flat after the smoke and then cubed and sauced and put back into the smoker until the sauce has seriously carmalized....
If I'm planning on making more than just a little bit, I'll split the point off of the flat and cook them side by side... When the flat is just about done, I'll pull the point and cube it, add some more rub and my sweet sauce and put them back on to the smoker for a couple more hours to make them ultra tender...

My family has nicknamed them 'Beef Candy'.

Don't mean to jump this thread, ...

I probably asked this before, but can you do burnt ends w/ a pork butt? and how do you do it? Brisket is scarce in these parts...

I probably asked this before, but can you do burnt ends w/ a pork butt? and how do you do it? Brisket is scarce in these parts...

I guess you could with a boneless butt... Just kinda lay it out semi-flat and cook the heck out of it... Then cube it and cook it some more... I've never tried it so I'm looking forward to your 'Report'... lol

Seems to me that you could just cube up some Country style ribs, rub them and smoke the heck out of them.

Thanks, need to try this, Please let me know if any of you try also...

pork burnt ends!!! looking foward to the report about these too! sounds real good, but they might just shread away being cooked that much. maybe rib trimmings could be used.

Only works if you take pics and post here! Nice to see you posting Brother Keale.

pork burnt ends!!! looking foward to the report about these too! sounds real good, but they might just shread away being cooked that much. maybe rib trimmings could be used.

Come to think about it, I do mostly do the same thing with the skirt off the back of spares... I just don't sauce them. I either eat them my self or cube them for beans.

I agree Bigmista, real Burnt ends just happen,
they are not created.

Weiser

I could be very wrong,, that bryant's original location (kcmo, Brooklyn ave) did the first burnt ends, gave it away for free for a while,,

anyways, I love to trim all the fat out of the point before it cooks and let all the fat inside just melt, when the flat is done, pull out the point and cube it up, and it goes back in the smoker, test a cube, if it still meaty, go some more in the smoker intill the cube just melts in your mouth. it is probally a faux burnt end (and never knew that), but its my favorite,

I could be very wrong,, that bryant's original location (kcmo,Brooklyn ave) did the first burnt ends, gave it away for free for a while,,

Same story I was told ... started at Bryants, a customer asked them to throw the scraps from under the meat slicer on his plate. Became so popular they started charging for them but would quickly run out every day. So today they actually make the faux ones as discribed above.

How would you like to be the guy that was getting them for free and all of a sudden they started charging! I bet he went ahead and paid.

Your wrong Larry,
Wyatt uses Shanes brisket for fuel for his drum.

can you do burnt ends w/ a pork butt?

It seems as if a couple of teams have turned in "burnt ends" in their pork box. A few of them were rather tasty :-D.

Back