Contest Announcment No fire just smoke, hillsboro, nj 6/20

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
An email I just recieved about a one day event we entered two years ago and than they did without it for a year. Good fun comp, family friendly.

Hello everyone and a belated Happy New Year, or more recent Chinese New Year! I hope this email finds everyone healthy and happy.
After much discussion, the Fire Company has decided to do the 4th Annual, Central Jersey, No Fire - Just Smoke, Firemen's BBQ Cook-off for 2009. But we've decided to move the date to Saturday, June 20th! This should be a good tune-up for all you serious BBQers for the summer contests.
We intend to continue our tradition of making this a neighborhood event, which means we are remaining non-sanctioned. I hope this does not disappoint any of you. Same 3 categories: Chicken, Ribs, Chef's Choice (i.e. anything but dessert).

We’re capping the number of teams at 30 and the entry fee will be $150.00
Please let me know if you intend to participate. We're very anxious to see all our good friends again. Well that’s it for now. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call or write. Please note the new email address: mbakaletz@comcast.net
Hope to see you all
Mike Bakaletz
Chairman, Planning Committee
No Fire - Just Smoke
Central Jersey Firemen's BBQ Cook-off
(908) 874-8466

$150 seems a bit steep for a 1 day unsanctioned event, what kind of prize money they got?

$150 seems a bit steep for a 1 day unsanctioned event, what kind of prize money they got?

Not really sure. We won first in one of the cats when we were there and I believe we won around 250. Don't really remember. It is a fundraiser for the fire department. Its only about an hour from me, so I'm in.

We also cooked at the last one they had. We got a 1st in chicken and the payout was way less then $250, more like $50 -$100. This is a fun local event that helps the fire dept. They did a great job with most everything. The only thing that needs some help is that farkin GATE that you have to go through to get to your site. Some folks had to un-hook their trailers and we pulled them in by hand.

We will probably do this one again but let our "new guys" do the cooking. It's a great place to learn.

We also cooked at the last one they had. We got a 1st in chicken and the payout was way less then $250, more like $50 -$100. This is a fun local event that helps the fire dept. They did a great job with most everything. The only thing that needs some help is that farkin GATE that you have to go through to get to your site. Some folks had to un-hook their trailers and we pulled them in by hand.

We will probably do this one again but let our "new guys" do the cooking. It's a great place to learn.

You are 100% correct. I looked back and I believe it was only $75 bucks. The grand champ I believe received around $250. We won anything but. I was just trying to get some interest!:lol:

This contest we great. We got our start there and then stole the idea for our firehouse. We are in.

having a fourth annual but they didnt do the 3rd..I still want my tee-shirt that has 3rd and 4th annual with a $50 increase...we enjoy it...same people always show up ready to cook and they are a great bunch...hope the radio Prize Man shows up again.,...he was a joker himself...We are Mooses Mayhem

I sent Mike an email asking about where to send the entry money in to. I have not heard back from him yet. We don't want to miss it!

Back