MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Default Quick Notes from the Board KCBS

Quick Notes from the Board Room
December 10, 2008
Merl Whitebook Secretary, KCBS Board of Directors.

The Board acted upon complaints involving the conduct of a Contest Rep.

The Board received the proceeds from the ’08 Great American BBQ Tour in the amount of $47,0 20.00.

The Board authorized the purchase of a new truck for use by the '09 Great American BBQ Tour not to exceed $33,500.00.

The Board discussed the Rules Committee meeting which will be held on Friday January 23rd from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.

The Board changed the time for the Annual Business Meeting where all members are invited to attend, from 7:00 p.m.. on Friday January 23, 2009 at 9:30 A.M. on Friday morning.

*. These are not the official minutes of the meeting. They are simply provided as an effort to give members a quick summary of the board meeting.

This was a short meeting because many members of the board had a dinner in KC. The last items were therefore tabled Also there were only a few reports and very little action was asked for.

Elections begin January 2, 2009.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, Merl!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

What good is a meeting that is at a time when most cannot attend ???? I guess the board doesn't want that input from the members?
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

I do not understand the time change. I think the evening would be better, but my concern is if there are members who were flying or driving in who will not be able to attend. I would urge that you make that know to the Board. I think every member should have an opportunity to attend the annual general meeting which is required in the by laws.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

That time change does one thing, make it more inconvenient to attend. A way to limit member participation without actually telling people to not participate. Boy there are disturbing trends going on. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Merl, how did the Tour raise that kind of revenue, when they were with us there was no revenue generators that I saw?? Just free grilled food.

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

The tour raised the money by sponsorships. Next year proves to be even better.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Lets see money raised against money spent and then decide who to praise!
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlieque View Post
Lets see money raised against money spent and then decide who to praise!

I'd imagine the fuel cost was not cheap but more sponsors would further help to offset that bill.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

So with all the sponsors and having to push their products, just how much are they promoting KCBS? Just wondering.........
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I personally think that KCBS should sponsor some teams... Who else to give good promo than a BBQ team at a BBQ contest? Instead of trying to promote BBQ with a grilling team....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

For a second I was going to reply that duing that would cause a huge can of worms to be opened - I mean wouldn't this be like NASCAR sponsoring a car - but not the others ... then I thought about it:

For instance:
How would sponsorship teams be determined?
- I guess teams that would be willing and able to provide good representation to the public through effective dialog and demonstration from the moment the KCBS instructs them to be ready until the moment KCBS says it's OK to tear down - even during meat trim/prep and turn ins. An openmindedness and knowledge of various BBQ techiques would also be needed and possibly demonstrated.

How would the KCBS justify sponsoring a certain team at a comp instead of others?
- see above

I guess if sponsored teams realized and fulfilled their first duty at the comp - being there to teach the public - not their own results ... then I guess having the KCBS sponsor a team is not out of the question. But even just one could you hold that thought a moment, I need to complete my rib box or sorry, I need to finish injecting this pork butt before I can answer would be defeat the purpose of sponsoring a team. I mean isn't the point to welcome and educate the public to what is done in a competition?

But I don't see how a team that would actually be completing in that event's competition to be able to put the public first unless they had a specific member of the team devoted solely to that duty.

Staging a mock team (a real KCBS team that is not participating at that actual comp) at a comp would seem to be the obvious - but maybe not so practical. Set up bleachers outside their booth and have scheduled demonstration times for different parts of the process - meat prep (each catagory), smoker overviews (from stick burners, cabinets and pellet burners), turn in process, scoring, etc. But would the general public be available for these set times? I guess it would be no different then having a participating team due it - can't prep pork an hour before turn in. But still, the mock team would still be required to provide quality info outside the set demonstration times to accomodate people stopping by.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote