MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #3076
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Phubar,
Here are the three lids I have.

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The third is just a lid. I use it only when cooking on the lower grate.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03057.jpg (40.5 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03058.jpg (47.6 KB, 1461 views)
File Type: jpg SG102248.jpg (35.0 KB, 1463 views)
File Type: jpg SG102299.jpg (33.6 KB, 1460 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #3077
StayDown

I love the idea of using a lid and welding it to a donor bottom.

The lid is just a flat lid right? I have two drums I am going to use for donors because they are closed drums and I am getting a reconditioned drum with a removable lid for the real deal.

Wonder if I can find a spare lid? I would like the option of having the tall lid and the flat. ANy ideas on where to get just a flat lid?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #3078
LT72884
Babbling Farker

I start my build this weekend. Instead of moding my brinkman, i will be building a new DS. I m buying a 55 gallon new food safe drum with no liner. It is 35 inches high and 23 wide. Here are my final plans. I had help from a friend who has about 6 of these things

6 x 3/4 inch intake holes 1.5 inches above base
hot coal grate 2 inches from base
about 2 feet above grate is my first cooking grate with 10 inches from lid
4 inches above that is the option for second cooking rack 6 inches from lid
the lid will have 8 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch holes on top for venting smoke.
Cutting board
painted black
on wheels

I was going to use ball valve but didnt want to spend 20$ for that and it was a lil to bulky for me. I will be using metal pipe plugs to cover vents.
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #3079
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

LT, 6 3/4 inch intakes is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much if I understand you post. Don't know what you researched to think that is appropriate. A second that would be more than enough for any temps you wanted to reach. JMHO, I would raise the grate to 3 inches above the bottom of the barrel to allow for ash accumulation. Do what you want but my suggestion is to go throught all the UDS pages and learn from everyone else's mistake and fixes.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #3080
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Hey LT72884, I agree with Meat Burner, you won't need that much intake and you need a bit more room below the grate to let the air in.

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #3081
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
LT, 6 3/4 inch intakes is waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooo much if I understand you post. Don't know what you researched to think that is appropriate. A second that would be more than enough for any temps you wanted to reach. JMHO, I would raise the grate to 3 inches above the bottom of the barrel to allow for ash accumulation. Do what you want but my suggestion is to go throught all the UDS pages and learn from everyone else's mistake and fixes.
Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it. My friends UDS's has 6 holes in it and he seems to do fine. Plus i can always plug them. Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal. the attached image shows how they will be placed on the base. Like i siad if i find my temps getting to high, then i will plug em up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg base-of-smoker.jpg (12.9 KB, 1407 views)
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #3082
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make extra plugs, you will need them. Seems I have never went past 2, but I build in 3

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #3083
Mattzilla
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Make extra plugs, you will need them. Seems I have never went past 2, but I build in 3
Same here.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:58 AM   #3084
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Hey Phubar,
Here are the three lids I have.

The first one has a rod welded around the edge and a flat bar welded to the rod as a lip. It was only spot welded so I used high temp sealant to stop it from leaking. It turned out a bit heavy with the rod and the flat bar being added, but works fine and give me plenty of room on the top grate.

The second is a shorter one where I took a lid and cut the center out and welded it to a 6" bottom of a donor drum.

The third is just a lid. I use it only when cooking on the lower grate.

The fourth pic is a buddies drum where he cut the lip off to be able to use a weber lid. And you can see where the stuff runs. I am to anal to deal with that way of doing things, lol. I would be rubbing up against it and getting pissed.

Thanx for the pics and info Barbarian!
Yesterday I came up with a similar idea of your first picture.
I used the lid as sort of template and bended the rod on the inside of it.
Looks great allready,I think I won't be able to get it all the way round so maybe I'm gotta cut in in half.
I don't have the tools at home and skillz,you wil see that in the pictures later on when I get home.
Right now it looks real redneck-ish,it's hold together with some rope and ductape!
By the way....love the looks of your friends drum!
Funny to know that is your friend,the last couple of weeks I've been showing people this pic as an example for an UDS....and this qualifies definitly as an UDS!
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #3085
BarberQue
Full Fledged Farker

Like Norco say's, I have three and rarely ever need more than 1 and a half valves open to get between 200* and 260*
[FONT=Arial Black]Oh!! And Smokin Something Too!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Bradley 6 rack digital auto feed smoker [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Members Mark Professional SS Gasser[/FONT]
Weber One Touch Silver
The UDS twins
BarberQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #3086
timmy7649
Full Fledged Farker

i have 4 3\4 inch holes and for me to cook at 200 to 225 i only open 1/2 of one. i like having the extra so i can crank up the heat and grill some outstanding burgers.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #3087
DDave
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it. My friends UDS's has 6 holes in it and he seems to do fine. Plus i can always plug them. Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal. the attached image shows how they will be placed on the base. Like i siad if i find my temps getting to high, then i will plug em up.
No offense, but I'll never understand why people insist on trying to reinvent the wheel or build the better mousetrap. I mean, I'm all for customization and individuality but the "basic" UDS design as explained in this thread and Norco's build thread is a pretty damn good smoker.

All the same, have fun with your build.

But trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Dave
Maverick ET-73
Taylor 1470 Digital Thermometers
Taylor 9842 Instant Read Thermometer
[COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Thermapen
DDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #3088
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Ditto. Get yourself some Kevlar gloves too.

Quote:
Ill make my coal grate adjustable so i can lower it or higher it.
It's going to be very hot in there and while trying to raise and lower you are going to be exposing it to fresh air causing your temps to get out of control and perhaps never recover. Don't treat the UDS like a BBQ grill. It is built to be a set and forget cooker.
Quote:
Its so i can get a better and more even burn with the coal.
Your fuel will burn near perfect with just two intakes. It's best to do it the pr oven way then decide if you want to look for the perfect burn rather than going back wards. Others smokers on the market do just fine without all the spacing and intakes.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #3089
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Yep, I knew better and put in six 3/4" holes. Put plugs in three of them and never take the cap off of one of the remaining intakes. My next drum will have one 1/2" nipple and one 1" ball valve. The current drum runs too hot with one 3/4" nipple open and too cool with the 3/4" ball valve full open. So I figure that a 1/2" nipple and a little ball valve will be perfect. I'll let you all know.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 AM   #3090
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
No offense, but I'll never understand why people insist on trying to reinvent the wheel or build the better mousetrap. I mean, I'm all for customization and individuality but the "basic" UDS design as explained in this thread and Norco's build thread is a pretty damn good smoker.

All the same, have fun with your build.

But trust these guys. They know what they are talking about.

Dave
Dave: In as far as the primary fuel is charcoal briquettes, the "basic" UDS design, whose purpose is to approximate "set it and forget it" (RONCO) technology, you are correct. If you want to power your UDS primarily by wood sticks, a very different approach is called for.

So anyone contemplating building a UDS should first determine what primary fuel source they intend to use. If its charcoal briquettes, then NORCO's guide is a vewry good resource. HOwever, if it's wood, then I suggest you consider my approach.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker