MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooking in cold weather.

I have a cook planed for saturday, but the weather says it will be in the low 30's, and snowing up to an inch. Thinking about canceling, and just grilling steaks for me, and my girlfriend. Question is how hard would it be to fight the weather. I have held temp well at 40 degrees, but it was dry out side.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Are you grilling or smoking? Two very different things.

In my limited experience I have found that a high temp grill doesn't get effected by the weather, especially in the 30's. What does effect it is wind and precipitation. If it isn't snowing very hard and it isn't windy then you should be ok. Tow things I suggest, use a chimney to get the coals going and move you grill close to the house so it take advantage of the ambient temperature. ALso, I would use extra coals and get the heat nice an high before you throw the steaks on.

If you are smoking then it really does depend on what you are using and how thin the metal is. Low n' slow is much more susceptible to weather conditions then hot n' fast.

And as others always say, YMWV.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

It depends on the cooker you use, but even a thin walled crappy cooker should be able to cook fine in 30 degree weather. You might jsut need a little more fuel is all.

I have cooked at below zero temperatures with my WSM's (as low as -6) without having to do anything more than simply adding more lit coals when doing the Minion method and opening the vents all the way. No problems at all.

High wind though...that's antoher story with those WSM's. At -6 with high wind, that might not work, but I've never had the gift to try and cook in that weather.

You MUST go ahead and cook. Don't let things like the weather get in the way. What if it starts a surprise rain storm mid-cook? Are you just going to give up?

Personally, I enjoy cooking on both the hottest and coldest days of the year, just to spite the weather. Maybe I'm pissing ol' Mother Nature off though, and that's why weather is so weird lately. Al Gore can take all the credit he wants, but it was I who pissed off that old bag.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Personally, I enjoy cooking on both the hottest and coldest days of the year, just to spite the weather. Maybe I'm pissing ol' Mother Nature off though, and that's why weather is so weird lately. Al Gore can take all the credit he wants, but it was I who pissed off that old bag.
Amen to that Chris. Totally the way I am wired as well. Though I had a a hard time explaining to people why I walked a mile to work this morning in the rain as opposed to driving.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

First off I understand the difference between grilling, and smoking. I was planning on smoking a pork shoulder, and some ribs low, and slow on saturday. If the weather was to bad I planned on switching that to just GRILLING steaks. My pit is heavy non UDS BS. It is 3/8" thick on my main chamber, and 1/2" thick on my fire box. She holds heat just never had her working in the snow. I enjoy cooking in any weather. I will freeze my ass off grilling good steaks when others are making shake, and bake. Or dare I say..... Pan frying a steak

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
First off I understand the difference between grilling, and smoking. I was planning on smoking a pork shoulder, and some ribs low, and slow on saturday. If the weather was to bad I planned on switching that to just GRILLING steaks. My pit is heavy non UDS BS. It is 3/8" thick on my main chamber, and 1/2" thick on my fire box. She holds heat just never had her working in the snow. I enjoy cooking in any weather. I will freeze my ass off grilling good steaks when others are making shake, and bake. Or dare I say..... Pan frying a steak
My apologies - I wasn't clear on what you were saying originally. However, when I reread your original post I realize where I went wrong.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Maybe a moving blanket over the food chamber will help too. Wool or cotton, not synthetic that'll melt.

Sounds like your pit won't need that, though.
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Okay I will go through with the cook, and see how it goes. Its supposed to be pretty damn cold though. We will see it will be good to test her out.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Winter here is -30 easy at night. I cook all winter long. Doing a shoulder tonight

Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantw View Post
Winter here is -30 easy at night. I cook all winter long. Doing a shoulder tonight
Can I get an amen for another brother north of the 49th Parallel?!!
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Grantw - where you from in Canada? I lived in Ottawa for over 20 years.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
BobM
Babbling Farker

If it's cold enough to stand outside and have my hands feel numb, I generally don't cook. OK, I'm a wimp. :)

You will be fine, you will just use more fuel.

Good luck!

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Cold weather aint got nothin on the UDS.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smoke that butt, don't get chased off. You might need some extra fuel is all. If it's windy, just put up a baffle near your intake, to slow the wind.

And I pan fry steaks by choice, I happen to love a cast iron seared steak, there is always more than one way

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Okay I will go through with the cook, and see how it goes. Its supposed to be pretty damn cold though. We will see it will be good to test her out.

Now your talking! Please update how it all goes.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote