• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tips for my first test light and burn on UDS

S

swallytrip

Anyone have any tips or good advise for doing my first light and test run on my new UDS. Heres some info of my set up new UDS just finished today :-D fire basket is about 18 inch diameter and about 12 inches deep with about a 3 inch rise off the ash pan made from expanded 4 vents on bottom equally spaced using fridge magnets for time being until i can buy caps and ball valve next week 2.5 inch hole in lid with a swivle type adjuster flap. What im wondering is how much charcoal to use to test it out do i just put coal in a pile and light it since my basket is so big and can i light it with a propane torch possibly i dont have any spare $ for a weed burner at this time im trying not to use any lighter fluid. Thanks hope to hear back from you guys hoping to smoke a butt by tuesday if all goes well :p I also do not own a charcoal starter due to lack of $ and turkey fryer thermometer in a brass bushing in the side it was tested with boiling wagter today and seems to be right on suprisingly.

How do you light your charcoal now

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

For your test burn it won't make much difference how you light it or how much charcoal you use. On a basket that size, half a basket with a minion method light is probably gonna run for 14+ hours at 275° or less. Thats a big basket! Just oil down the inside of the drum (and the charcoal basket too) and let it rip. Put a couple wood chunks on for good measure.

Update I got it lit with my small propane torch it took a little bit to take off so i opened up the vents to 3 wide open it went from 150 to 200 fast so i started shutting them down it has settled at 250 now for going on 3+ hours with 1.25 vents open the only thing i forgot was to spray the inside of the drum how big a deal is that going to be and i plan to do a full cook on it in 2 days can i just spray it then and i thin k i need wood chunks versus chips they smikoed like hell for about an hour and were burned off by then also has anyone used any hi temp rtv silicone sealer for the lid mine fits tight but seems to leak a bit around the edge or is this normal. Thanks

Back