• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Restoring Red Kettle

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am restoring an old redhead Weber Performer found at a local yard sale. There are lots of nicks in the paint.

Have any of you guys found a red paint that works well for this?

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards,

I have not personally tried it, but I do know a thing or two about paint. If you really want to refinish the whole thing, I would sand it smooth. Then I know there are some red heat resistant spray paints out there. If HD doesn't I would think an automotive shop would.

Good luck and post pictures.

I bought 500 degree paint from an auto parts store named O'Reilly. I bought yellow to match my thermopen or vice versa. I saw red paint there also.

Krylon makes a red BBQ paint that is a pretty good match, but over time, it oxidizes pretty bad. I used it, and it looked fantastic right after I sprayed and polished it, but within six months, it looked awful. I ended up striping that paint off, and polishing the original red ceramic, and living with the nicks and chips.

http://www.krylon.com/products/bbq_stove_paints/

CD

i've done some tests, so far the best thing i've found is VHT caliper paint.
the color isn't an exact match (the lid of the can looks darker than the dried paint)

i've done some high heat tests after the cure and it didn't turn brown like the duplicolor does

Thank you all very much for the ideas. I'll see what I can find at an autoparts store.

Has anyone tried contacting Weber on this or other paint issues?

Regards,

Back