MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Lid Mod with ABT & Fattie Pron! (lots of pics)

I borrowed this lid idea from fellow brethren SmokerKing it just took me a while to take it and get it welded. I'm going to paint it but wanted to make sure the flow was right beforehand. This is my trial run with the new lid to get it seasoned I smoked a Fattie and some ABT's! The ABT's turned out wonderful but i messed up on the Fattie. I needed to leave a thicker wall around my stuffing, I was using the roll up method. So it exploded causing it to overcook, oh well its still good for making omelets or breakfast burritos. The overcooking will not be an issue ever again as UPS delivered my new ET-732 Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set last night after the cook, figures.

Here is the ingredients in prep mode. I first start by cooking the bacon (not shown) halfway and I use the rendered fat to wilt the veggies, there is Onion, Garlic and yes that orange you see is a Habanero Pepper. I Then take the sausage and spice the chit out of it with Cayenne, Chilli, & black pepper. Cooking it about 2/3s of the way. Setting the bacon aside, I put the Sausage, Cream Cheese, Jalapeno Jack, and some Chipotle Hotsauce in my wife's mixer, I knew we had that thing around for something!

After chopping the off the top and scooping out the seeds of the jalapeno's (leaving the membrane intact, I like em hot!) I then scoop the filling into a sandwich bag and cut a small whole in the corner and presto you can commence filling! I flattened out the remander of the sausage to make my Fattie. I just used the left over cream cheese and wilted veggies as my filler. I needed to leave a little more room at the end of the roll to prevent it from coming apart while cooking, lesson learned.

Here is my smoker, my wife made this area to put a bench someday, in the meantime it makes a killer BBQ patio!

Closer Pic

and the other side, the wet look your seeing is where i sprayed olive oil on the barrel and lid and it hadn't cooked off yet, I lit the UDS a couple hours prior to the actual cook to make sure it still held temp.

All in all I"m happy with my new lid, it flowed fine with no leaks (I sealed it with high temp silicone) and held temps rock solid. I need to put in my upper rack now, I"m headed to HD to get the bolts and some adapters for my new thermometer probe wires. I'll be cooking a Tri-Tip tonight so hopefully some more pics to follow!

I wanted to pull the Fattie at 165* but it was around 180* due to falling apart when I went to take the ABT's off.

Closer ABT's I use the toothpicks to rest against the side of the barrel to stack them in there without a holder.

We where hungry so once these came off I forgot to take 1 last picture of them, oh well they tasted good!
Durzil is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks kinda like the Tin Man, but it looks like it's cranking out some great food!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

what was the lid before it was a lid?

It looks like an industial lighting fixture.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool. Did you fab up the exhaust or was that something else?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Great lid and the food looks tasty. :T

Please, tell us more about your lid. Inquiring minds want to know.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

The cone was ordered and I belive was intended to be part of a grain feeder system. (Flip it over to use as a funnel type thing). I used my weed burner to heat and conform the existing lid some prior to the new lid being welded, to make it fit tighter to prevent leaks. My uncle tacked it to my existing lid for me then I used a jig saw and cut out the old lid on the inside, I didn't cut it first for fear of warping the lid. Then I used high temp silicone to fully seal everything. We also added a handel and hook to hang it on the edge of the barrel while cooking. The chimney is intended for a water heater type aplication and it is put over the tip of the cone and tacked down. The cone top is 2" where the stack is 3" so there isn't any of the stack inside the smoker it's there just to prevent water going in and to help prevent backflow. If you have any questions or would like a picture of the inside let me know.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

I got the lid from http://turnerbiodiesel.com/8_gallon_55_gallon_drum_cone I'm pretty sure the cone cost me more than the rest of the UDS combined.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Good looking cooker and some yummy looking grub too!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That looks really good to me
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Well I wanted to get the adapters for the temp probs to put on the side of the UDS but the wife is coming home early from work so I"m going to be firing her up momentarily.

I'm making Tri-Tip tonight, I started out by rubbing it in my Modified version of Big Bad Beef Rub. I let it sit an hour and then made up my version of the Tri-Tip Schmear that PatioDaddio posted (I can post it if requested or you can search his East of Santa Maria Tri-Tip) The tri-tip will have about 6 hours of flavor time, I normally like to let it sit overnight but I pulled it out yesterday and let it unthaw slowly in the fridge.

Here is a pic of it coming up to room temp while I get the UDS up to temp.

I'll post more as I go.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Here it is right before I put it on the grill.

I had a small spike to 240 when I first put it on, but its been 220-230 since, it seems like its cooking really fast to me, it has been on the grill 45mins now and is already at IT 145*. Do you guys normally see yours cooking so fast? I'm going to go check it with my pen therm to verify temp this is the first time I've used the Maverick. Last time I cooked a tri-tip I used my buddies therm with prob and it went up to 147* really fast and then held there for a long while, once it started to climb again I pulled it. Came out awesome. Drum temp is 215*(I turned it down some alarmed by the quickness of the cook) and meat temp is 149* since I started writing this, just seems fast.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

So I flipped it and due to 1.5 year old son interference & Mom not being home yet I didn't get to check it with my pen therm. It was 151* when I flipped it and its gone down slowly to 147* so far with the UDS holding steady at 219* so hopefully it was just the probe being to shallow or the probe hitting the grate.