MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Q Harley
Got Wood.

Default Need A New Stock Pot

Have a large cook coming up and I will have to make a large pot of dipping sauce. Just found out that I do not have a pot large enough.

Need some input on a stock pot, about 16 to 20 quart, that will not interact with the tomato and vinager from the sauce.

Any help will be appreciated

Harry
Q Harley
Q Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Harley View Post
Have a large cook coming up and I will have to make a large pot of dipping sauce. Just found out that I do not have a pot large enough.

Need some input on a stock pot, about 16 to 20 quart, that will not interact with the tomato and vinager from the sauce.

Any help will be appreciated

Harry
Q Harley
Got to be stainless steel. Any resturant supply place close to you should have something fairly cheep in that size.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

This is the one I have and love it, but when I bought it, the price was only $70!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...#RBIBQ8PQ0C6AX
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
Got to be stainless steel. Any resturant supply place close to you should have something fairly cheep in that size.

Yeppers......I also would reccomend it be stainless steel as the acids in the tomatoes and vinegar will react with aluminum or cast iron as well. Will give you a very nasty taste.

I bought some s/s pots and pans w/the very thick/heavy bottoms.
The cheapo versions of s/s pots have very thin bottoms. Heck ya cant even reheat a pot of chili without burning things on the bottom of the pan. Thats even constantly stirring.

Good luck on finding a pot that works for you.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
Yeppers......I also would reccomend it be stainless steel as the acids in the tomatoes and vinegar will react with aluminum or cast iron as well. Will give you a very nasty taste.

I bought some s/s pots and pans w/the very thick/heavy bottoms.
The cheapo versions of s/s pots have very thin bottoms. Heck ya cant even reheat a pot of chili without burning things on the bottom of the pan. Thats even constantly stirring.

Good luck on finding a pot that works for you.
Agree. My thin ones don't get used anymore since I found some thick bottom pots.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #6
coachop94
On the road to being a farker

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1305379&web_id=1305379&sf=qc& dept=qc0001&cat=qc0007&attr=550&prev=hp!sf!dept!55 0!cat Don't know if I did that right copy and link in address bar these are nice stockpots price not bad either

Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

If you want restaurant quality on the cheap - hit GFS. They have it all and they are usually pretty cheap.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stainless is the way to go.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
Q Harley
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone that replied to my post. It looks like I have settled for the AL CLAD, 24 quart stock pot. I like the way it is built, the way the handles are attached to the kettle. and the fact that they are using the new aluminum wedge on the bottom for even heat.

This is about double the budget that I have set for myself, but I always say, buy only once. This has worked for me for thirtyfive years of buying tools and toys

Harry
Q Harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
bbqbull
Watching over us.

My heavy bottomed pot is from the Wolfgang Puck set that I purchased at Sams Club a few years back. Love that thing.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Brauma

Way to go Harry. Yes, that thick aluminum plate on the bottom is terrific. Once the pot comes up to speed, it holds the heat & temp better. It also distributes heat better.

Ive got a 20 qt that I used to brew beer with. Private Stock I think.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

I use a 55 gallon drum I had laying around

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
I use a 55 gallon drum I had laying around
Crafty! It's amazing what can be done with one of those. If I could find a clean one, I think it would be cool to cut it and turn it into some kind of a vertical smoker. I've been looking for info on the conversion, but there isn't much out there about it.....hmmmm....

Never even thought about using it for a stock pot......

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardchef View Post
Never even thought about using it for a stock pot......
Yeah, I tend to go overboard, ALOT, and then freeze what I don't use.

I've dehydrated 40 gallons of stock at a time and have had enough beef boullion powder to last all summer.

Goes great on Cheerio's

Makes the milk a little funky though

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

I'm gonna have try this out in my trash can this weekend....from Yankee Magazine....

Garbage Can Clambake

You don't have to live on the coast to enjoy a good old-fashioned New England clambake. All you need is a garbage can.

The ultimate in "garbage can" clambakes, for those with a Paul Bunyan appetite, is lobster, sweet and/or Irish potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, corn on the cob, and clams.

In the bottom of the can put a limited amount of water depending on the amount of food and seaweed to be added above, usually 2 to 3 inches. Add 1 cup vinegar and several tablespoons of salt.

Next, place a 2-inch cake rack in the can, covered well with seaweed. This keeps the lobsters out of the water. Place the can over a robust fire to bring the water to a boil. Put the lobsters in, back side up, then alternate thin layers of seaweed with potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, corn, and finally clams. Cover tightly.

(The potatoes, hot dogs, eggs, and corn can be wrapped loosely in cheesecloth to make them easier to remove after cooking.) You can also use a wire basket made for the clams, which gives them freedom to open and lets you see more readily when they are open, which is your signal that the bake is done.

Cooking time varies, depending on the amount of food and seaweed, from 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until the clams open. Never pack the can so tightly with food and seaweed that you prevent the steam from permeating all layers. Be sure to maintain a healthy fire.
Comments

Note: As seaweed is not too easy to come by, the bake can be done with only the bottom layer.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe...php?number=626

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote