MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Anyone have sausage biscuits and gravy recipes?

Looking for some recipes to make some biscuits and gravy with sausage. Anyone have any recipes they would like to share? Would like something that I can heat up and use for a couple days in a row for breakfast.

I have never made home made biscuits and gravy. (biscuits can be out of a can :) )
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

I always fry the sausage in a pan, and once its done, add cream and flour until I get the consistency right. If the sausage has enough flavor, you don't really need anything else. If not, I sometimes add salt, pepper, sage, and red pepper flakes. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this always turns our really good. I leave the grease from the sausage in the pan and it kind of makes a roux with the flower. I've recently found that using skim milk instead of cream doesn't change it a whole lot, and I'm sure its a lot healthier that way.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Here ya go!

Biscuits:

1 and 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1/2 stick margarine

Pre heat oven to 400. Melt butter in rimmed baking pan.

Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add milk and mix together. Dough will be sticky and kinda loose. Dump onto well floured surface and kneed until dough just comes together.

Roll out dough anout 1/2 thick and into a rectangle Shape. Cut dough into 6 pieces. Take out pan with melted butter and dip both top and bottom in butter. Bake until golden brown.

Gravy:

Brown up 1 pound sausage. You need some grease from the meat to soak up flour. If there is not enough grease in the pan, add a tablespoon of butter. Coat meat in flour (abouth 1/2 cup) and let cook for a few minutes. Start adding milk a little at a time, stir in and let thicken. Then repeat until you get desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pretty much as stated above. I learned to make scratch sausage gravy from Mom this way:

Brown sausage. Pull all the sausage to one side of skillet, reduce burner temp to low. I try and prop up the handle of the skillet with a coffee cup or something so that the grease pools on the opposite side, then pull all the sausage toward the handle.

Add about 2 heaping TBS of flour, adding butter if needed to get this ROUX to a nice consistency. Stir and brown the ROUX, adding salt and pepper to it. Mom said....ALWAYS SEASON THE ROUX and let it brown up as THIS is where all the flavor comes from. When the roux is JUST liquid (any more flour will make it clump together), add in milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. "UNtilt" skillet, adding milk (usually about 1/3 gallon for 1 lb sausage).

Turn burner to high, stirring often. Once gravy starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer to thicken, stirring often.

I like to use canned biscuits, but we just did scratch biscuits the last time. Look for an easy biscuit recipe. They're all over.

Good luck.
My family LOVES sausage gravy and biscuits.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Pretty much as stated above. I learned to make scratch sausage gravy from Mom this way:

Brown sausage. Pull all the sausage to one side of skillet, reduce burner temp to low. I try and prop up the handle of the skillet with a coffee cup or something so that the grease pools on the opposite side, then pull all the sausage toward the handle.

Add about 2 heaping TBS of flour, adding butter if needed to get this ROUX to a nice consistency. Stir and brown the ROUX, adding salt and pepper to it. Mom said....ALWAYS SEASON THE ROUX and let it brown up as THIS is where all the flavor comes from. When the roux is JUST liquid (any more flour will make it clump together), add in milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumping. "UNtilt" skillet, adding milk (usually about 1/3 gallon for 1 lb sausage).

Turn burner to high, stirring often. Once gravy starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer to thicken, stirring often.

I like to use canned biscuits, but we just did scratch biscuits the last time. Look for an easy biscuit recipe. They're all over.

Good luck.
My family LOVES sausage gravy and biscuits.
Pretty much this is what I do, except I remove the sausage from the pan and add back in when the roux is ready for it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Damn. I want some biscuits and gravy now....

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I like the big ole Cat Head Biscuits
Here is the recipe I used at Easter
http://mtnlaurel.com/recipes/766-old...-biscuits.html

and they came out like this

I like mine with Redeye Gravy!
Jed

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Pretty much this is what I do, except I remove the sausage from the pan and add back in when the roux is ready for it.
Pffft.....logic, shmogic. You would.

Actually, I'm usually doing 3 lbs of sausage, feeding AT LEAST 6 people every time who almost always have seconds, so I personally enjoy the challenge of keeping all 2 lbs of sausage to one side and not rolling down into the roux. Makes my morning.

Plus....I tried that, but I found it too greatly reduced my "grease to flour ratio". So much for making things easier.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Crumble up a naked fatty for the sausage.

Rest I will leave to others.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

^^^+1 on this and swap out the milk for buttermilk if you want something with a little tang. I also like to add a little bit of chicken base to my gravy for a little extra something.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Jason TQ

My sausage gravy recipe is pretty similar to the others. Below is my standard go to recipe that I now eyeball on the quantities, but I know to start off having exact measurements helps.

Gravy
-Brown 1lb of ground sausage in a pan
-Once browned add 1/4 Cup flour and stir in until mixed
-Add 2 cups of milk and stir until it thickens up.
-Add salt/pepper to taste.

Depending how long you let the milk cook in it can get thick, which is the way I like it. So you can add more milk depending on the consistency you want. I tweak the recipe with other things, like hot sauce, herbs, leftover bbq :). So it works as a great base to build off of.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
BigBellyBen77
Knows what a fatty is.

Cook your sausage and then use a slotted spoon to remove it from the pan. Gradually sprinkle in flour while stirring until you get a thick paste. Continue to stir this and cook at a low heat for about 5 minutes. Gradually pour in your milk/cream/condensed milk/etc. while stirring. Add some black pepper, granulated garlic, a little seasoning salt, chili powder, and onion powder. You can play with the amounts to suit your taste. Add the sausage back in and stir. Cook until you reach desired thickness. I've also done this with left over prime rib slices, corned beef, smoked brisket, and bacon. If you use something without much fat in it then you can melt butter or use olive oil in place of the sausage fat. Was my dad's recipe. He grew up on a ranch cooking out of dutch ovens and used this a lot. I haven't earned his sourdough bisket recipe yet though. Enjoy.
BigBellyBen77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Plus....I tried that, but I found it too greatly reduced my "grease to flour ratio". So much for making things easier.
There's this new invention you can buy called a "slotted spoon"...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
landarc

I brown the sausage up, then remove from the pan, reserving the fat in the pan. I add the flour, about 1/2 to 3/4 the amount of flour to oil in the pan, then cook until tan, I then add finely chopped onion, maybe 1/4 cup and cook that into the roux. I like to use 1/2 water and 1/2 milk, until right consistency is achieved. Then add sausage back in. If I am going to hold the gravy, I store it in zip closure bags with air pressed out. Prevents formation of a skin.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
landarc

Cream Biscuits
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar, if desired
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
Milk for brushing tops of biscuits
Instructions
Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, add the cream, and stir the mixture until it just forms a dough. Gather the dough into a ball, knead it gently 6 times on a lightly floured surface, and roll or pat it out 1/2-inch thick. Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter dipped in flour and transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Gather the scraps, reroll the dough, and cut out more rounds in the same manner until they are 10 in all. Brush the tops of the rounds with the milk and bake the biscuits in a preheated 425 preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they are pale golden. Transfer the biscuits to a rack and let them cool for 5 minutes.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.