lump coal vs kingsford

I have been using B&B or Cowboy branded lump in usually a mix of oak and hickory. That stuff burns at a very controllable rate for a good long time. I use is mostly in the BSK, but it even last a while when I use to get the offset going. I have never used any of the national branded lump stuff, but based on my experience with RO briquette in the past, I can see where you would say RO lump burns quick.

Prepare yourself for a million different answers.....

Depends on what you are using it for and how you are cooking. Some guys swear that KBB is the devil in a bag and won't touch the stuff with a 20ft pole. Some don't care. Some like me, only use it for grilling and don't like to use it for doing long smokes.

Lump is widely accepted as a good "natural" source of fuel. Some don't like it because it can be unpredictable temperature wise and the quality of some bags of lump are sub par at best. That's a reason most guys will use uniform, quality briquettes over lump.

Me, I use Stubb's briquettes for the long smokes and use either KBB, Royal Oak lump, or Steakhouse briquettes depending which one I can catch on sale at wally world or Lowes for grilling.

All depends on what you like, there is no real clear, apples/oranges answer to which is better than the other..

I agree with flyingbassman5, although I do just the opposite. I like to grill steaks over lump, because of the heat lump cranks out. I prefer KB for long cooks. To each, his own.

CD

Just try and see what works for you. I use a mixture of about 60/30/10 RO lump, KBB, and wood chunks in that order on my uds. Took me a few cooks on the uds to find that's what I liked.

Last edited:
Back