MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper View Post

Just my $0.02. There is no BEST design....just find what works for you and cook enough to "learn about" your drum. The ones I equipped with a fan and PID controller could control temperature on the dot but what fun is that!

I thought the same thing. I just built my first one this past week. I thought about an electric hot plate and a cast iron bowl full of wood chips, then maybe a PID controller, and after a few cold ones and some tinkerin', it hit me. Half the fun is building it and the other half is keeping it dialed in and tasting the fruits of your labor.

Mine has 4 half inch holes and magnets for intakes 2" off the bottom, and a 18" x 2-1/4" exhaust pipe (90* elbow and 18" stack w/rain cap)) welded on the side of the drum at grate level. Ran it yesterday for the first time to season it, it ran for 16 hrs, before I finally hit the rack. Maintained it between 180-300. 27 hrs later, it still has some hot coals left in it. I am going to drill out the intakes to fit 3/4" pipe nipples, I added a lid thermometer about 2 hrs . into the smoke, (mailman was kind enough to bring it), and I have a turkey thermometer 1/2" below the grate protruding to the middle of the drum, just to see how the temp varies from spot to spot. It stayed within 12* from grate to top and back to front. At some point I want to scrounge a Weber lid for it, add some handles and the obligatory bottle opener.

Ol'duke already standing guard.

Last edited by Budman1; 02-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: trying to add pic
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #32
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyshooter View Post
Question and Request:
Built (building) first UDS: second on the way when this one complete. Just cooked pork butt and it came out great, but had to mess with intake quite a bit.
There are 3 3/4" intakes; 2 with caps one with ball valve. The exhaust is a 1 1/2 metal stack. Got it going with minion method and closed all intakes but 100% on ball valve. When I got home 8 hours later internal (Maverick) smoker temp was 175 F and meat was 150F. This has occurred every time I close off with caps and leave ball valve open 100%. Played with intakes (cap on / off) and it is touchy. The unit is air tight when everything is closed and vent stack is closed.
My thought, but let me know if I am wrong; the 1 1/2" exhaust is causing problem.
Love the way it cooks but cannot get it to hover at 225 like you guys.
Thanks
Sory that everybody missed the obvious answer...

Drums have a sweet spot temp wise that they like to run. You can run at any temp you'd like but you have to find its sweet spot to make it fiddle proof.
I find with 1 intake fully opened and my ball valve about 25% open my drums will settle in about 238*. Dont force 225 or 250, let it run where she's happy!

I've been using 2" PVC exhausts about 8" long with a 30* angle cut on top since the beginning of (drum) time. It works.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default let me try this again, greenhorn at work....

I am a heavy equipment operator by trade so seeing a stack with smoke coming out of it makes me feel warm & fuzzy.

Last edited by Budman1; 02-17-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #34
Bbq Bubba

Never seen an exhaust on the side at grate level. May be hard actually getting any smoke on your meat.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I've seen a few on other sites. I had pretty good smoke coming out around the lid when I seasoned it, which is why I put the band on it to seal it up . I'm going to try it out Wednesday, I will let you know how it works.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #36
froggyshooter
Found some matches.

Default Stabilization

Why does the UDS stabilize after a series of 'cooks'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Agreed.

To the OP. No two UDS's are the same. Keep cooking u.til you figure out how yours work. You will find that after about six cooks it will stabilize a lot more.

Lastly, I like a bigger exhaust, but its just a preference. I find I have more flexability and my food taste better.
froggyshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #37
froggyshooter
Found some matches.

Location was/is out in open. Weather is 55F - 80F relativity calm - live in the SW USA.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyshooter View Post
Why does the UDS stabilize after a series of 'cooks'?
The gunk build up seals up the leaks

Old 03-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #39
froggyshooter
Found some matches.

Default Fixed

Thanks for the assistance. On the first UDS "Smaug" the solution for perfect temp control was 3 3/4" openings at bottom with two equipe with brass ball valves. This UDS needs two open but neither fully open to hit almost any temp required.

Thanks for the help. Good info.

Ready to build the second.