How much to cook

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to be feeding 100 college guys pulled pork and brisket, how much of each should I cook? Thanks for your input.

Tom, If all guys, go with a 1/2 lb of meat apiece. If guys and gals you can cut that back abit......or if you have beans, cole slaw, chips, or other sides, then 1/3 lb.
I know they are going to get some good stuff. Tell Bernie hi.

Ron Yater

Pork
100*6=600
600/16=37.5 lbs cooked pork
37.5/.6=62.5 lbs raw pork
.6 is the 60% yield for a pork put.

100*6=600
600/16=37.5 lbs cooked brisket
37.5/.5=75 lbs of brisket.
.5 is the 50% yield for a brisket.

You can adjust the amount of meat, but this is for 100 servings of each meat.

Why do you multiply the 100 guests by 6, and then divide the 600 by 16? what do those two values in the formula represent?

I am also going to cook brisket and pulled pork for my daughter's wedding reception. We are going to have approx. 80 guests, male and female. Not sure of the sides yet, but we are serving slider buns with the meats. Thank you to the OP for the thread, and for the replies thus far. :)

I'm pretty sure he is talking about 100 guests times 6 ounces of meat per each, divided by 16 ounces per pound to determine how many total pounds needed. You could use 6 oz. or 8 oz. depending on how big the sandwiches are. :idea:

This is some cool info. i have no idea how much meats shrink when cooked. awesome!

I'm pretty sure he is talking about 100 guests times 6 ounces of meat per each, divided by 16 ounces per pound to determine how many total pounds needed. You could use 6 oz. or 8 oz. depending on how big the sandwiches are. :idea:

Thanks for the reply. I have been busy at work and forgot to check back here. Sorry I sometimes forget that I need to explain myself more.

Great advice from the brethren. One minor issue to consider is that the deman could be higher for one product over the other and:
1. You don't want anyone to miss out on their choice; and
2. Some leftovers will keep.
So I would add 20% to 25% on the accurate measures provided above.
John

Last edited:
Back