MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Willie G
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hats off to PattioDaddio with pron

OK, I was asked to smoke four turkeys last week, I have about nine years of expierance with smoking pork, and some chicken. I have never smoked a turkey before. So, what to do? I turned to the BBQ Brethern for the answer and boy did I get the answer.

I followed PatioDaddio's instructions for a Turkey Brine, understand, with chickens I always inject, had every intention of injecting these turkeys with a creole butter injection. However, I saw how many people were talking about this brine that I decided to go for it. I do not know PatioDaddio, we have never met, but if we ever do, I owe him a cold one.

The people that I smoked them for think that these things were made by a pro! The only thing I had to do differant was use Allspice instead of the Chinese 5 spice. I might add this was not my idea, PatioDaddio suggested it in a post I read somewhere. I put celery, onion, and orange in the cavity. Smoked at 175, used a cheesecloth soaked in butter, and continued to bast with butter. The end result was nothing short of pure awesome, and I was told that the meat melted in their mouths.......I didnt get any! Thanks PatioDaddio.

Turkey Brined for about 24 hours

End results follow

Willie G is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
JimF
Knows what a fatty is.

Can you post links to where you found the info? Would love to check out that brine and cheesecloth trick

Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Tootin on Q
Got Wood.

Here is the brine link, do not know where to find one about the cheesecloth....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=72774
Tootin on Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Willie G
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Can you post links to where you found the info? Would love to check out that brine and cheesecloth trick
Not sure of the link, but here is what I did. About an hour half into the smoke, I checked the turkey, liked the color, and layed a cheese cloth over the entire turkey. The cheesecloth was soaked in melted unslated butter. About every 45 minutes after that I applied more butter to keep the cloth from drying out and sticking to the skin.

Also, I just read my post, I did not smoke it at 175, it was at 275! 175 would be bad
Willie G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

IN-FARKING-CREDIBLE lookin turkey brotha!
Farkin BEAUTIFUL!

Nice work!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Love the color of that bird!!!!!
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

That does look terrific.........sad sad case that you didn't get any...........something just not right about that!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Willie - That is what we food bloggers (I call us floggers) live for. I am so very glad
that you and your guests enjoyed the brine. I salute you, because it's not about
the beast, the brine, or the cooker -- it's about the cook.

I love the buttered cheescloth idea. I'll have to try that. The color of your birds is
indeed incredible.

Thanks again!

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I try to stress to everyone if you haven't checked out Johns blog ....do it! There are many more fantastic recipes on it. Two that come to mind are the cranberry/orange bbq sauce for turkey (I also use it on pork) and his New Years soup. And no I don't personally know John. Only from here and visiting his blog.Here's one of the cheese cloth threads not sure if it's the correct one though.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ED+CHEESECLOTH
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice looking bird!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Bird looks fantastic!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
gtr

Now that is one beautiful turkey right there!

And you're right - PD is da man!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
And you're right - PD is da man!
Ever since the operation.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
gtr

^^^now that's farking funny!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
TBASS
Full Fledged Farker

The turkey looks very impressive. I am sure it tasted as good as it looks. But, I can't believe you did not get to taste any. There has never been a turkey cooked in my mom's house that had both it's wings when it hit the table. Her story is still the same to this day, "it only had one wing from the get go". Thanks for sharing your success.
TBASS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smoked turkey, Turkey Brine