Peoples Choice

sitnfat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am wondering what kind of peoples choice do you guys and gals prefer there are several different ways to have one which is y'alls perfered type?

Unless there is a seperate 'dessert' catagory, what usually wins is dessert.

I am talking about straight bbq. I have turned in a box and people where allowed to pick which ones they wanted to try not really getting to try all. I have also done them where people come around and give you a ticket to get a sample etc. of the ways a PC has been conducted what was your favorite and why.

I prefer doing tickets we have 4 guys on our team and that means 4 significant others to serve the public. I know some small teams dont like doing it this way. I really enjoy talking to the public.

I am talking about straight bbq. I have turned in a box and people where allowed to pick which ones they wanted to try not really getting to try all. I have also done them where people come around and give you a ticket to get a sample etc. of the ways a PC has been conducted what was your favorite and why.

My bad, I saw 'Peoples Choice' but read 'Anything Butt...':doh:

We never, ever, do Peoples Choice unless it is blind!!!!!

Any "on-site" is a popularity contest.

TIM

^^^ Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! We learned this over the many chili
cookoffs. I can't tell you how many times we placed 2nd with a far superior
product to the popular, usually the local, team. Also, when not blind, often
the team that cooks the most gets all the late votes. Blind with a fixed
amount is it.

Blind only for us.

I guess it depends on whether there is any kind of competition being associated with People's Choice. If there is, then I agree with Tim that it should be blind and with a fixed amount of product. Under these circumstances, a People's Choice award is a well earned honor.

On the other hand, if it simply being used as a vehicle for allowing the general public to purchase samples from the teams and for the teams and a charity to make a few bucks, it really doesn't matter if it's blind or not. A People's Choice award under these circumstances doesn't mean much.

I prefer doing tickets we have 4 guys on our team and that means 4 significant others to serve the public. I know some small teams dont like doing it this way. I really enjoy talking to the public.
I agree..plus it helps my son interact with the public.that being said if you win PC on strictly ticket sales it really doesn't mean much..it just means you cooked more meat than anyone else..many times we have ran out way before it's time to stop,but were not there to win PC!

I like blind, not only for the fact of a more level playing field, but location as well. One of our first contest with people's choice we were at the end of the row and no one else in our row was doing it. We had enough people to count on two hands. At another event people bought tickets at one end of the town square and most followed the same path. By the time they got 3/4 around the square they were too full to eat any more. Those teams on the same side of the square from where people bought tickets made out like bandits.

Blind is the ONLY way to go...

There was one where they had two sided ballots... Local teams on the front, every one else on the back... Guess who won...

I heard of another local team that brought in chearleaders... again, guess who won...

If it ain't blind, we don't do it....

Blind judging from a central location at a specific time - only way I'll consider doing it for two reasons:
1) we don't have the man-power to help customers
2) the best food wins rather than the most popular local team

And if it's a Friday night People's Choice, see if it's OK to let the teams bring the product (if pork butt) already cooked so it only needs to be warmed. Many teams won't be able to get pork butts cooked after arriving for a Friday evening event.

Last edited:
I wanted to throw in my personal opinion on this: People's Choice, and those who organize them, lose a LOT of credibillity in my mind when they don't publish the full results. Listing just the top X and no counts, makes me suspect things. Last PC I did, the organizer wrote randome markings on the turn-in trays when he collected samples, and then never published full results. I have asked for those results multiple times, and was told I would get them, but nothing.

dmp

Blind judging from a central location - only way I'll consider doing it for two reasons:
1) we don't have the man-power to help customers
2) the winning food wins rather than the most popular local team

And if it's a Friday night People's Choice, see if it's OK to let the teams bring the product (if pork butt) already cooked so it only needs to be warmed. Many teams won't be able to get pork butts cooked after arriving for a Friday evening event.

^^^ this ^^^

We've been to several contests where the PC winner on Friday night finished DAL on Saturday.

I have had some problems with blind judging too. We did a comp and they put out different trays through out the day to sample. depending on how many people were there sampling at that time made the difference who won. At least when we sample ourselves we can save our meat until the crowds shows up

I think we tend to prefer onsite sampling. Provided that the sampling/competition occurs after the final turn-in and prior to the awards.
Half of the fun of the People's Choice contests is getting to interact with the public and talking about BBQ.
And speaking from an organizer perspective, the public really love getting to talk to the competitors while they are sampliing their bbq.. and like it or not, no public support, no big payouts. Team entry fees don't come close to covering the costs associated with the events. Public support makes for happy sponsors. Happy sponsors make for bigger checks next year.

Our PC is only with our Backyard contest. It is at each cooksite with the hope of talk
between participants and audience. We want to build enthusiasm among the locals and encourage more participation in the Backyard event.

We know that the way we run it is a popularity contest. Rivalries produce more donations (votes). All proceeds of this event go straight to our beneficiary.

Keeping it backyard only keeps it from being locals vs. non locals and lets the teams concentrate on the competition event.

If we want a true quality based event, blind is a great idea.

Had a couple comps this year that wanted(needed) teams to enter PC, but wanted them done at around 5 or so. I think one contest gave them frozen ribs :crazy:

Back