Cajun Gumbo&Jambalaya w/pics

got14u

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not smoked but it was real good

Chicken & Andouille Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Poorman’s Jambalaya (tasso and andouille)

First off I need to say WOW. This jambalaya and gumbo is amazing. I got this from a cook book my father got me called Louisiana Kitchen (by Paul Prudhomme) My Dad told me about this and I have had his jambalaya he made from this book. But come to find out the trick to making this dish over the top is to make some Jam and Gumbo and pour the gumbo of the top. I didn’t get many pics but if you don’t have this book get it. I have looked through this and found tons of recipes that sound GREAT ! Here are the pics

Chicken pulled apart and resting for the gumbo
DSC_00720001.jpg

Gumbo simmering. Here you can see the homemade andouille sausage in it along with numerous other tempting morsels of goodness.
DSC_00750004.jpg

While the gumbo was simmering I got to work on the jambalaya
DSC_00730002.jpg

Gumbo finished first. This is after the chicken was added
DSC_00770006.jpg

Jam all cooked up and ready to serve
DSC_00780007.jpg

First in the bowl is the jambalaya
DSC_00790008.jpg

Next is the Gumbo over the top with some diced up green onions
DSC_00800009-1.jpg

DSC_00810010.jpg

Thanks for lookin. I think next time I will smoke the chicken and then jullien the skin very fine instead of frying it. This is honestly one of the best meals I have had in awhile and in the top 2 for Cajun food for sure. The flavor of the roux is amazing in the gumbo dish itself.

That cookbook has been my cajun cooking "bible" for 25 years. I've made both the Jambalaya and the Andouille / Chicken gumbo, but I never thought about combining them! Everything looks great!
I posted my adaption of Paul's gumbo recipe a while back, where I spice it up a bit and use a couple of short cuts in case you are interested:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61129

Looks great!

man that looks awesome! as Justin Wilson would say...I "garontee" you'll love it! :)

I have been needn me some jambalya now I really need some..

That is some good bowl of food. I never thought to combine them, but, I will.

I had never had them together either but man this blows out putting gumbo over plain white rice.

Back