MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
aawa
Babbling Farker

Authentic Philly Cheesesteak is very thinly sliced ribeyes on amoroso rolls. Cheese it depends on who you talk too the 3 popular cheeses for Philly cheesesteaks are CheezWiz(The Wiz), Provolone, and American. Take your pic on which one you want to use. I personally like Cheez Wiz on my Cheesesteaks.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Authentic Philly Cheesesteak is very thinly sliced ribeyes on amoroso rolls. Cheese it depends on who you talk too the 3 popular cheeses for Philly cheesesteaks are CheezWiz(The Wiz), Provolone, and American. Take your pic on which one you want to use. I personally like Cheez Wiz on my Cheesesteaks.
This is correct. Believe me, it won't be right unless its ribeye thinly sliced cooked on a griddle surface. Be sure to cook onions in with the steak and use whiz (although the original is actually w/ provolone).

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with Casey and Big Mike. Ribeye shaved thin, provolone, a good roll, grilled onions, sometimes green peppers as well and mushrooms for me. Not a fan of the Pat's, Genos version and I don't eat cheese whiz on anything, ever.

Amarosa rolls are the original but as was mentioned expensive. If you don't have access to a slicer a good alternative is to get a good quality rare roast beef sliced thin at the deli. Chop it up and grill it on a flat top or grill pan with the veggies and when it's just about ready place your bun on top to steam, load evrything on and top with provalone and your good to go. I've done this numerous times and my guests love em. This is how they do them at Publix around here and although it might not be a true Philly style cheesesteak it's damn good.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

A 'proper' cheesesteak uses Cheez Whiz. Provolone may make it a much better sammitch (and it does for many), but Cheez Whiz is needed for authenticity. Similarly, if you don't use that Amoroso bread, it's not authentic.

The original poster requested "authentic". If he meant 'best tasting', this thread is most helpful.

Similar to the oft-debated Chicago style pizza -- cornmeal in the dough or not? NO, if you want authentic. YES, if you want something that many believe improves on the original.
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #20
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
Pats is far from the best in Philly.
Agreed...I prefer the street vendors to Pat's.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #21
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I'd bet that thinly sliced tri-tip would be good for cheese steaks as well!

it is very good sliced and made into cheese steaks.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cheez Whiz is an abomination and it's inventor should be relegated to the 9th circle...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
BillyVoltaire
On the road to being a farker

Definitely Ribeye and CheezWhiz. It is worth sacrificing a Ribeye for a cheesesteak, they are so good.

BV
BillyVoltaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I bet hangar steak would work great for this. Its soooo tender

I am going to give it a try!!

I use grilled onions and provolone

I know its not traditional, but its how I like it
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Put your rib eyes in the freezer until it's about frozen and then slice it thin, it's worth the extra work in the end.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #26
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Cheese wiz is just an option. No more traditional than provolone or American. In fact, I've lived here my whole life and don't know one person that gets wiz on their steak sammiches.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #27
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoke View Post
A 'proper' cheesesteak uses Cheez Whiz. Provolone may make it a much better sammitch (and it does for many), but Cheez Whiz is needed for authenticity. Similarly, if you don't use that Amoroso bread, it's not authentic.

The original poster requested "authentic". If he meant 'best tasting', this thread is most helpful.

Similar to the oft-debated Chicago style pizza -- cornmeal in the dough or not? NO, if you want authentic. YES, if you want something that many believe improves on the original.
The topic of cheese on an "authentic" Philly cheesesteak gets argued about, a lot. I personally agree with aawa that there are at least two, possibly three "authentic" cheeses. My family ate cheesesteaks with provolone. I don't remember EVER eating one with Cheese Whiz.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
Cheese wiz is just an option. No more traditional than provolone or American. In fact, I've lived here my whole life and don't know one person that gets wiz on their steak sammiches.
Ah, I posted before reading to the bottom.

As a kid in the Philly burbs, I don't recall anyone I knew eating a cheesesteak with Whiz, either.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #29
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Chopped brisket, provolone cheese with diced jalapeno peppers on a steak roll simply redefined the sandwich for me.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Traditional is either Wiz or Provolone. For me it depends on my mood. Working on as a paramedic we sometimes do transports to Philly and everytime, no matter what we "GET LOST" and end up at Pat's. If im not mistaken they do use rib eye sliced soooo think that it crumbles into the sandwich. Most times I do get provolone for the reason that some one else mentioned so that the meat shines through!! When I make them at home I will cheat and use really good quality roast beef and make a home made Provolone peppercorn sauce
northernrescue3321 is offline   Reply With Quote