MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default I'm considering adding a MAK 1 Star to the collection...

I've cooked on one, and they seem to be extremely well built. Anyone have one? Pros and cons?
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Have had a 2 star for about a year and a half. #64 There are three top makers of pellet grills and Mak is one of them. I wanted a smoker that I did not have to baby sit and still put out good bbq and this fit my bill. Their well built and you will not find any better customer service. I had a couple of problems and Bob took care of them with out any questions. My only complaint is they market them as grills and being from GA they are not a grill, thats what the kettle is for. Everybody raves about the q it turns out and I get to sleep. Perfect world. If you have any more questions, just ask.
480 Volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Link?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

480 Volt, are you happy with the smoke flavor your 2 star provides? I've read that the Maks were built specifically to output more smoke than any other brand of pellet grill which is why I'm asking. I'd love to hear your take on it.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I am considering one as well. My wife is not.... Am interested in the question about smoke output.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
480 Volt
Got Wood.

The smoke taste on a pellet grill is going to be milder than lets say stick burner. It gives you a smoke ring, a smokey flavor and some moist meat. I find that most people love the taste especially women not to strong and not to weak. I suppose if you wanted a more smokey flavor you could set the controller to smoke, let her ride for a hour or so and then go on with the cooking. I have never seen the need to. These things work like a smokey convection oven and I have found that their is know need to use any foil to get a tender moist meat. The Mak also has a controller that will do anything your mind can think of and has three built in meat probes, you can start on a temp say smoke for a hour then it will bump the temp to what ever you want, cook untill it reaches desired temp then drop back down to say 180 till you are ready to eat. All this can be done while you sit by the pool enjoying your favorite beverage. Hope this helps

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. My main reason for buying one, is for weekday meals. That, and it will be much easier for my wife to use.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hear they're especially good for briskets - most notably the flat portion.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I hear they're especially good for briskets - most notably the flat portion.

How amazing would it be, if I could own a magical smoker that was capable of transforming a brisket flat into a desirable piece of meat
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #10
480 Volt
Got Wood.

As far as using it, turn it on, set the temp, and cook. Very simple to clean, just open it up and vacuum it out and they are very fuel efficient. 10lb of pellets and a quarter cup of ash. Just a note they will make you a lazy cook.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480 Volt View Post
Just a note they will make you a lazy cook.

That is what I'm afraid of Oh wait, I already am...
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
480 Volt
Got Wood.

Hey, get you a Mak and a remote pellet boss. Make your wife do all the prep work while you sit in your easy chair with your favorite drink watching reruns of baywatch. Start the grill, when it reaches your desired temp, tell her to put the meat on and make sure she puts the probe in (this might take a couple of times) sit back and watch the meat temps till it ready to pull, then scream at her the meats ready to be taken off. She gets the meat off and you shut the grill down. Now talk about lazy

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

If I get too spoiled, I might have to put my BGE's out my the curbside
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit