MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
ChrisChaos
Got Wood.

Question Very odd Drum Smoker UDS idea

Ok i'm working on something A Earth Smoker. It was a stainless 55 drum, with a box made of treated lumber around the drum and as tall. about 8 in. between the drum and the box. Inside the box I was going to pack with dirt around the drum. the vent will come out of the sides just like a reg UDS just through the dirt and outside of the the box.

Has anyone tried this or heard of this before?

OO yea 1 side of the box ( side with the vent) you could slide the boards, I guess to get the dirt and barrel out if needed.

I always have strange Ideas..hope someone has something to add, I'm hoping for less fuel and better heat retention with this idea.
ChrisChaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
MoGreen
On the road to being a farker

Please don't bury a SS drum in dirt! It's just too darn pretty for that! My father-in-law owns a Bubba Keg, and he's always concerned that my UDS would work better with some sort of insulation around it. Personally, I think it works just fine as is.
MoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know, but I think the heat load from heating the cold dirt around the drum could consume way more fuel than an open air drum. Granted, once heated, the fuel consumption would be minimal.

Some form of insulation would be the way to go if you're after fuel efficiency.

Papa

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Seems like dirt would be a very good insulator. Think about all the pig roasts in pits dug into the ground, Cowgirl had a post not long ago about one.

My concern would be that the dirt would hold moisture and rust your drum more quickly.
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
imfree2q
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countyliner View Post
Seems like dirt would be a very good insulator. Think about all the pig roasts in pits dug into the ground, Cowgirl had a post not long ago about one.

My concern would be that the dirt would hold moisture and rust your drum more quickly.
Dirt is a really good insulator and has been used time and time again for that reason.. Another good reason to use dirt would be to hide that uds!! Just sayin!
imfree2q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

IMHO I have to agree with MoGreen about SS being to pretty to surround/hide with dirt and for countryliner worring about rust, I have never seen SS rust before. I vote to take it out of the box.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

the drums are already very fuel effecient. I get 12-14 hour burns on 12 -15 pounds of charcoal just like it is. Building a box to bury it in dirt seems like a lot of work for very little gain.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Some stainless will rust, like 409 ss, however, most drums are 300 series stainless and have very little ferrous in them so they probably would not rust.

That being said, I cooked a brisket and two pork butts in 14 degree weather, no problem with temps.

Experimenting is fun, but I don't think I would want to get more usable burn time than 14 hours on 10-12lbs of charcoal. I would rather just build another UDS and cook simultaneously.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

I don't know if you've used a UDS before or not, but mine don't lose a lot of heat. I take the flat lids on and off with my bare hands and the sides don't get hot enough to melt plastic stick on decals.

Not sure your gonna gain much by insulating and like the others said it sure seems wrong to bury a ss drum

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Sounds like a waste of a good ss drum and time to me. Just my opinion.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
ChrisChaos
Got Wood.

thanks for the ideas...you know how it goes with the wives..don't like the UDS sittin by the goldfish pond lol. so the box idea was born...Maybe the box no dirt lol
Thanks guys
ChrisChaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would say if the box is a WAF issue, go ahead and insulate with something lighter, say high temp fiberglass batts. How are you going to hide the lid. Otherwise it is gonna look like a park trash can with a steel dome lid and a wood box below.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep it simple. Standard UDS. Drums cooks great in the cold, and burn times are more than you need. Seems like a lot of time building that could be spent cooking.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Just dig a farking hole in the ground and smoke it that! The drum isn't gonna add anything to it. Oh, and send me your drum.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
i would say if the box is a waf issue, go ahead and insulate with something lighter, say high temp fiberglass batts. How are you going to hide the lid. Otherwise it is gonna look like a park trash can with a steel dome lid and a wood box below.
waf?

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote