MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Horizon vs OK Joes

I am looking at a Horizon 20" Classic smoker and the 24" RD Special Marshall and was wondering how different in quality the new horizons are compared to the old OK Joes. The horizons seem to have quite a few gaps at the lid and firebox doors that make me wonder if holding temps and wood consumption would be an issue. I own a horizon 16" Patriot grill that has gaps around the doors that allow air to fan the charcoal keeping temps at around 300F-350F for the duration of the cook. I use it for direct and indirect quick cooks but if I go with the Classic or RD I want to be able to hold much lower temps for obvious reasons. Thanks.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Unless Horizon has recently changed, I thought they were nearly identical to the the OK Joes when Joe owned/build them. Did Roger recently lower the quality of his units?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
thunderbelly
On the road to being a farker

When I bought my OK joe, I was told the brothers had split up leaving roger to continue manufacturing. from what I have seen, they are identical designs. I sure would like to know more history about them though.
As for holding temps, not a problem I would say my Oklahoma Joe is as good or better at holding temps as my Traeger. (boy am I going to catch it for that)

Oaklahoma Joe trailer rig
WSM
Traeger 70
ECB starter model
thunderbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Unless Horizon has recently changed, I thought they were nearly identical to the the OK Joes when Joe owned/build them. Did Roger recently lower the quality of his units?
I have never seen an OK Joe's in person but have heard the Horizons are identical to the old Joes myself. My Horizon works great, I just wasn't sure how the barrels with the firebox's hold the heat with all of the gaps like my Patriot has. The cooker door lays flat on the radius of the barrel but doesnt seal pretty compared to say a Meadow Creek smoker.

Basicly I am trying to find a big cooker that can be wheeled onto a small 4x6 or 5x8 trailer but that is big enough for catering. My party is great but it cannot handle too much food. We have a local dealer here in Cail that stocks the horizons and meadow creeks so I dont have to wait if I decide to jump.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I've had an OK Joes smoker and still have a barrel grill (no firebox). They look nearly identical to the Horizon's that I've seen.

I'm not understanding the location the gabs you are referring to. Both of my OK Joes and the Horizon's that I've seen have the lip on the outside of the doors. I believe Brinkmann's have the lip on the inside and I have seen gaps in the corner of those. Did Roger move the lips to the inside?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

There is a portion of the lid that seats inside of the barrel wall and the lip goes over the barrel itself. They are this way on both the Patriot and the big barrells I saw.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
sampson
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
We have a local dealer here in Cail that stocks the horizons and meadow creeks so I dont have to wait if I decide to jump.
Can I have some contact info on that dealer? I'm in Utah and no one here carries any real cookers. But business takes me to S. Cal often and I would like to go look at the Horizon cookers...
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]KCBS Member and CBJ[/FONT]
sampson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
thunderbelly
On the road to being a farker

I still don't understand where you think the holes are?

Oaklahoma Joe trailer rig
WSM
Traeger 70
ECB starter model
thunderbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a big fan of Horizons. We have one at work that is basically a 6 foot long 30" diameter offset, but without the offset fire box. It's a big grill, for all practical intents and purposes. We theoretically rent it out to park patrons, but no one has ever rented it. So it sits at my shop, where I lavish it with the attention and care it deserves. That being said, it's a very high quality cooker- I couldn't be more impressed. We went out to Perry, OK and toured the shop when we picked it up and met the guys who built it. It's a class operation, and they do things right. I'm surprised to hear that your Horizon has any gaps at all. Mine is tight as a drum, and holds temp like a dream. Did you buy your Patriot new? I'd almost think that it had been damaged at some point, unless you've got a complete knowledge of the chain of ownership and can attest that it wasn't.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson View Post
Can I have some contact info on that dealer? I'm in Utah and no one here carries any real cookers. But business takes me to S. Cal often and I would like to go look at the Horizon cookers...
No problem I just sent you a pm with his info.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbelly View Post
I still don't understand where you think the holes are?
They are not holes but are actual gaps where the lid closes on the barrel and where the firebox door closes. They are probably not problem and I could always install a door gasket if it became an issue. Thanks for all the input everyone.