MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #3361
SUMO PIG
Found some matches.

Below are some photos of my seasoning burn, and some pron from my first UDS run this past weekend:

Introducing the finally assembled Sumo Pig Smoker, Ver. 1.0
during its innaugural seasoning run

A peek inside a cool-burning UDS

A look inside a blazing hot UDS

Monitoring the temps

Cooking some dinner on the Weber during my UDS burn-in

Would you considered a perv for calling this kiddie-pron???

Dinner's ready, while the Sumo Pig Smoker burns on, and on, and on ...

Pipe dreams about version 2.0

Weekend results from my first UDS cook!

Brethren - hope all of your cooks are as joyful as mine has been this past weekend.

Keep on buildin' em and keep the home fires burnin' ...

Weber Silver - outfitted with the amazing Smokinator
Sumo Pig UDS, Version 1.0

Last edited by SUMO PIG; 06-15-2009 at 03:25 PM..
SUMO PIG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #3362
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMO PIG View Post
Below are some photos of my seasoning burn, and some pron from my first UDS run this past weekend:

Introducing the finally assembled Sumo Pig Smoker, Ver. 1.0
during its innaugural seasoning run

A peek inside a cool-burning UDS

A look inside a blazing hot UDS

Monitoring the temps

Cooking some dinner on the Weber during my UDS burn-in

Would you considered a perv for calling this kiddie-pron???

Dinner's ready, while the Sumo Pig Smoker burns on, and on, and on ...

Pipe dreams about version 2.0

Weekend results from my first UDS cook!

Brethren - hope all of your cooks are as joyful as mine has been this past weekend.

Keep on buildin' em and keep the home fires burnin' ...

Nice pics... must have been all in a dream

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #3363
SUMO PIG
Found some matches.

and I 'Q as well as I post!!!

Weber Silver - outfitted with the amazing Smokinator
Sumo Pig UDS, Version 1.0

Last edited by SUMO PIG; 06-15-2009 at 03:25 PM..
SUMO PIG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #3364
Cecil
Knows what a fatty is.

I had last week off and made myself an UDS. I did spare ribs that came out great this past weekend.

My exhaust is 8 1/2" holes in the lid. My inlets are 3 3/4" nipples with caps and a valve on one of the inlets. The nipples are attached with conduit nuts.

After I was done cooking I wanted to shut the fire down. I capped off the inlets and closed the valve. The temp went down to 180* and stayed there. I had to use foil to plug the exhaust holes to get the fire snuffed out.

Here is my question: Do you think air is getting past the inlet nipples since they are only attached with conduit nuts? Should I use hi temp silicone on the outside around the nuts to seal the nipple and the drum hole? Or does air get in through the exhaust holes and I'll need to plug them each time I want to snuff the fire? If so I can make a ring to put on the lid that would cover all the holes at once.
=============================

NB Bandera
UDS
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #3365
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Here is my question: Do you think air is getting past the inlet nipples since they are only attached with conduit nuts? Should I use hi temp silicone on the outside around the nuts to seal the nipple and the drum hole? Or does air get in through the exhaust holes and I'll need to plug them each time I want to snuff the fire? If so I can make a ring to put on the lid that would cover all the holes at once.
Cecil,

I have the same setup with the original lid and I just use these when shutting down the UDS, so my answer is, yes you also need to close off the exhaust ports.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #3366
jeepaholic
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok, Got my drum and heading down to the big box store to get the parts and hardware. So, let me get this straight. Intake holes are 3 on the bottom, 2" up. Grill rack 8" down from top. Temperature gauge 1" below grill rack.

Does this sound right??? Be back from store in about an hour or so
jeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #3367
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
I had last week off and made myself an UDS. I did spare ribs that came out great this past weekend.

My exhaust is 8 1/2" holes in the lid. My inlets are 3 3/4" nipples with caps and a valve on one of the inlets. The nipples are attached with conduit nuts.

After I was done cooking I wanted to shut the fire down. I capped off the inlets and closed the valve. The temp went down to 180* and stayed there. I had to use foil to plug the exhaust holes to get the fire snuffed out.

i can't get mines air tight enough to snuff the fire out. so when i am done cooking on it, i dump my charcoal basket into the weber to save it.
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #3368
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Concrete in bottom?

I read all the way through #3367, so I feel I've earned a few questions...

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?

Last edited by Kubbie; 06-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 02:24 AM   #3369
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heat rises if I remember right.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 AM   #3370
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Another update...almost done!

Last edited by Phubar; 11-01-2009 at 01:56 PM..
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #3371
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?

I think you just lost 2" of usable space and added a back brace/lifting belt to your wish list.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #3372
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I have a pizza pan bolted to the bottom of my charcoal basket and there was a piece of paper in the bottom of the drum and it never burned so I'm not to sure about your concrete idea. Also I've seen concrete explode from to much heat. One piece was thrown over twenty feet.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #3373
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubbie View Post
i poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. do you think i just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?)
yep!!!
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #3374
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and
just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

Im beginning to think all people who want to build their first UDS need to write the following on their forehead:

K.I.S.S

We arent building a space shuttle here, thousands have been built and they all work extremely well IF they are made as outlined. Nothing needs to be that complicated. You light it, wait for temp, throw meat in, wait and then take meat out.... Its simple, efficient and reliable already, moreover it yields consistent results time after time... WHY CHANGE THINGS... Its a Volkswagon for farksake... it does what it does and it does it very well.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #3375
StayDown

Beerwolf, I agree that first time builds should be simple but some can't help but to tinker. I am one of those.

I kept nmy first build simple and am looking to make a second one but with some design changes I am still working on just to see the difference.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker