MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
zombie barbecue2
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Tips for the Best Electric Knife

Looking for some tips on an Electric Knife

Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

You could buy a real knife and hook yourself to jumper cables connected to the car battery?

Sorry, couldn't resist, this has been hanging on the first page for a while with no responses.

Not too many folks around here use that type of small kitchen appliance.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll dig up the article when I get home from work later. Nut a recent edition of Cook's Country (they also do Cook's Illistrated) just had a review of different ones in their magazine. And I trust their opinion because they don't allow any advertising in their publications and take no money from product company's to push an item.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Hot Sauce Hoss
On the road to being a farker

Zombie, i have tried a couple different ones and have settled on the
yellow and green mr. twister from bass pro shops. I also bought the longer
blades for it for cutting/trimming brisket and it is the best unit i have found.

Hot Sauce Hoss

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Here's what Cook's Illistrated says about electric knives:

RATING ELECTRIC KNIVES

"Electric knives might seem like relics from the 1960s, but we wanted to see if these knives had any place in the modern kitchen. We selected four new models under $20 and tested them slicing roast beef, turkey breast, angel food cake, and apple pie. The results were clear: Contrary to manufacturer claims, electric knives are not adept at slicing meat neatly and thinly-all four models shredded beef roast. Plus, they're aggrevatingly loud; we prefer to carve with our favorite slicing knife. What their powered pairs of independently moving serrated blades do best is is cut through delicate baked goods without crumbling and slice through crisp turkey skin without ripping." - Merideth Butcher

Here is what they recommended with reservations:

Oster
Rrice: $19.99
Blade Length: 7 inches
Turkey Slicing: 2 out of 3 stars
Roast Carving: 1 out of 3 stars
Dessert Slicing: 2 out of 3 stars
Design: 2 out of 3 stars

The other 2 models that got the same rating were across the board were:

Toastmaster at $10.79
Elite Cuisine 2 Speed Electric Knife at $16.99

Not Recommended was the Black and Decker Slice Right (which I own only because some one gave it to me) at $16.95

I've used my Black and Decker for slicing just about every thing with out much of an issue. I agree that it does better slicing breads than it does meats. But, when I slice meats, I usually slice what we're going to consume for dinner with my chef's knife. I then wrap it and stick it in the fridge over night, then put it in the freezer for an hour or so before I slice it with the electric knife for sandwhiches and what not. Maybe this is why my slices don't tear?

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I use a Black and Decker that Wally World sells for18 bucks, probably had it for 10+ years. At one time i used it a lot, then my wife gave me a slicer and the electric got shoved into the back of the cupboard.. In my lifetime time it is the second electric knife I've had, first one got dropped into a sink full of water plugged in, it was a Wally World cheap also.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Last one I used (probably in the 60's, I damm near cut my finger off with it) I threw it in the trash. I think if I remember right, I was slicing up a turkey.
retired trucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, knife, pork, slicing