UDS - Exhaust - 8 small holes vs smoke stack

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok,
I'm driving myself crazy deciding on exhaust for my up and coming UDS.

I have a flat lid with no 2 inch bung hole. It's just flat.

Choice 1 - drill 8 1/2" holes evenly spaced around the flat lid. KISS
(pros - don't have to buy anything else, supposed lack of 'cold spots'; cons - I have to use foil or marbles to put out the fire (I'm not doing 8 nipples on top))

Choice 2 - Drill a 2" hole and then find a smoke stack.
(pros - awesome looking; cons - I'll have to buy a 2" hole saw and somehow have to figure out what to use as an exhaust pipe).

What do you guys think? Last night I spent hours reading through the UDS threads and using the search feature below and basically I learned that I'm thinking about this too much! :)

However, I'd hate to have temperature control issues b/c of my exhaust choice.

Thanks!

I wonder if you could get a pair of daisy wheels from Weber on their replacement parts website. Install with spring screws over eight half inch holes. Your exhast would be spaced out if you put them across from each other and you could easily shut them down, no nipples to hand close.

EDIT: Big Poppa Smokers UDS kit is currently out of stock, but when they get parts back in you can order daisy wheels from them as well. I believe their version uses eight 3/4 inch holes.

or maybe even 4 1" holes. Even less drilling.

I agree, the Weber damper/daisy wheel would cover them wouldn't it.

I don't think a 2" dimater stack is big enough.

I use 3 1/2" stacks and they were great, always open, no back up.

The lid that comes w/your drum may/should have a 2" bung that screws in/out.

Some drums fit a kettle lit perfectly. If you don't have a 22.5" drum, borrow a lid from someone you know an take it with you when you look for a drum. If you decide to use a kettle lid in the future, it will be very easy.

Last edited:
wish i had 8 nipples on top.... i would be soooo damn popular.. err with my smoker i mean.

EDIT.. personally, i would go with the stack. i am in the transition of going from 8 1/2 inch holes to a stack because in winter or rain, it leaks around the holes. easier to cover a stack.

I have one drum option. It's the best price/proximity for me. It's unlined and new so I'm doing it. The lid as I said is flat, no bung.

I don't want to use my kettle lid in it because of how nasty smoking makes the lid. I used to smoke in my 22 in kettle. Nasty. Down the road if I can find a Craigslist lid sure but now I'm focused on the flat lid.

So it looks like 2 votes for a stack so far.

I'd vote for using a Weber daisy wheel. It's obviously works well, as a lot of people use the Weber lids on their drums. You have the ability to seal it up at the end of a cook, won't need to buy a hole saw. You may still need a bit (not sure of your tool situation)...but if you get a step bit for the intakes, you could get one that would work for exhaust as well. I think the Weber holes around roughly 3/4"...not sure what your plan is for the intakes, but you could keep it simple and go 3/4" both in and out.

Just my $.02!

I use a Weber lid and the flat lid with 6 - 3/4" holes. The flat lid has no hot spots and the Weber lid has one near the exhaust.

Jeff

I went with 8 holes. I like to think the heat/smoke rises and exits the drum evenly.

Not really sure if it makes that much difference but I'm happy with it.

2e47925e.jpg

adffd964.jpg

193d9284.jpg

5cb3f5b5.jpg

406d1b57.jpg

Bo - agreed. The daisy wheel does seem pretty cool. Especially if it was painted like the lid. Could like nice, too.

Jeanie, your 8 holes are each 1/2"? You cook with all of them open I assume?

Jeff - I like to the 6 3/4" idea. Less drilling than 8 1/2"! I could probably get away with 4 of them and have similar area as 8 holes.

Thanks everyone!

comments are STILL appreciated! :=)

Granted, I haven't been in a Math class in 35 years but wouldn't it take 16 1/2 inch holes to equal 1 two inch hole?

Granted, I haven't been in a Math class in 35 years but wouldn't it take 16 1/2 inch holes to equal 1 two inch hole?

Correct. Which means that cowgirl's UDS (which has eight 1" holes) has twice the area of one 2" hole, according to my calculations.

Back