MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #76
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Sorry, didn't spend much time online yesterday.. Oh well, spare parts...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 06:44 PM   #77
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

No worries as it was just steel nipples, washers, and nuts. Nuth'n fancy like some of the kits you can buy.
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #78
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
The number one skill is patience IMO. When you get your new WSM it'll be VERY hard to wait till she's ready for you to put the food on, but you MUST wait till the white smoke settles and you have a thin blue smoke that barely visible.

Only reason I'm harping on it right now before you even have your new toy is that you said you were making chicken. And brother if there's one thing you'll learn is that chicken and other birds take smoke VERY easily. If you lay the white smoke your bird you won't be as happy as you'd have been if you put it on after the smoker had settled in.
The minion method has you put wood throughout the charcoal (3 pieces or so). Doesn't it start white smoking again when a new piece starts burning? Or is the white smoke just related to getting up to temp and wood burning?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
The minion method has you put wood throughout the charcoal (3 pieces or so). Doesn't it start white smoking again when a new piece starts burning? Or is the white smoke just related to getting up to temp and wood burning?
Funny thing about that. It does juuuust a bit. But, since the air and fire are controlled the wood chunks get heated so they ignite fairly clean.

Your heaviest smoke SHOULD be at the start as it settles in. I say "should" because after you do this stuff for a while you learn to never say never.

In the end it's about keeping your food from long periods of dirty smoke. A little here and there won't show up too much in taste or presentation, but we strive for perfection....always. And that's what makes it interesting.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #80
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I skimmed through this thread and haven't seen anything about kamados -- if I missed a post, I apologise. One thing to consider, eddiek2000, is whether you want to smoke meat in winter. If you get bit by the smoke bug hard enough and are on the tough side, you'll want to choose a smoker that will server you well in the dead of winter. I have a kamado, I live in Ontario, Canada, and I can smoke anything any time of the year. You don't have to put out as much cash as Big Green Egg or Primo, some of my US brothers have been finding Vision kamados at Costco less that $500 and one found one for $3XX and something. I love my charcoal-fired Vision kamado, it's fantastic and very close to set it and forget it. Short learning curve, too. First time I used it I won a Throwdown. The cheaper Vision kamados my US brothers bought didn't come with the lava smoking stone but I think they are available now to order from Vision. You can McGyver your own, too, there's a thread for it, just think twice about any mods that could void your warranty. If I didn't have a kamado I would build a UDS, probably still will in the future. We have a brother in Alaska that gets great charcoal efficiency on his UDS at -40'F. I started off with a COS and hated it, it took way too much time fiddling. Like you, I don't have time for that and would smoke very little if I had to fiddle and babysit for a significant amounts of time. I've never used a WSM so I can't weigh in on that, but I do know someone that bought a kamado and sold their WSM shortly after.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #81
T&S BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I have to say, I love my custom offset, it makes great Q, but I also have a Smoking It #3 and really like it. When the weather is nasty or really cold, I use it. You do have to becarefull not to add more than 3 little chunks of wood, or it will have that bitter burnt taste. It is a really handy smoker and is built like a tank, and puts out some good Q.

Peoria Custom Cooker, Brinkman Smokin Pit,
Webber 22 1/2" Kettle,Smokin-it #3,Smoky Joe,Orange super fast Thermapen ,Awesome Brethren Mini, 18.5" WSM, Blackstone Pizza oven, Weber Genesis Premium Grill, Blackstone 36" stainless steel griddle, Stainless UDS
T&S BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #82
eddiek2000

Do I start a new thread about my experience or keep this one rolling?

I received the WSM today, assembled it, and am doing a first smoke. I haven't received the chimney yet, so I had to improvise. I started with a small pile and used my mapp gas torch to start the charcoal. While it was getting going, I pam'd the inside walls of the smoker. Next I added more charcoal around the lit pile. (probably too soon as it keeps white smoking). The door had a good gap, so I ended up reforming it to help. With all lower vents closed it is maintaining 255. Strange as I would have thought the temp would drop with all lower vents closed. Keeping an eye on it for now.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #83
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up I really appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Eddie,

If you are buying new, they should have the rubber boot to allow you to push through multiple probes. It has a single hole at the top that someone here taught me to just push my pit temp probe into. Below that is a slotted line that I push my meat temp probe and my Pitmaster IQ120 probes through if I am using them.

AG76, look at page 6 and 9 of the attached PDF. If you need any more help, let me know...
Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it. I could not figure out how to put it together, and had chalked it up to a loss.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #84
eddiek2000

The WSM is slowly climbing up to 300. At least the heavy white smoke is dissipating, but still some. For the record I used kingsford blue and no wood. My Et-733 won't be here until tomorrow, so I don't know if the weber supplied thermometer is correct.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #85
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
The WSM is slowly climbing up to 300. At least the heavy white smoke is dissipating, but still some. For the record I used kingsford blue and no wood. My Et-733 won't be here until tomorrow, so I don't know if the weber supplied thermometer is correct.
Kingsford blue is about all I use in my WSMs. It works extremely well. You can add 2 or 3 wood chunks of your favorite smoking wood, and you should be good to go.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #86
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I vote for you keeping this thread rolling instead of starting a new one because all of the people that have chimed in get email notifications for continued posts. Some may not find a new thread and will miss what happened next. I have a hard time leaving the Woodpile, it's like Hotel California there, so I'm one that would likely miss tales of your success.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #87
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

This is your thread, I'd keep it rolling. Out, so can't say much more than that now, but I'll respond more later. Keep playing with her...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #88
SmittyJonz

Uds.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #89
eddiek2000

Planning on a whole chicken and several thighs smoke on Thursday. Should I brine the whole chicken? Planning on using some apple wood and maybe a piece of hickory for smoke and using some off the shelf McCormick Rotisserie Chicken seasoning on the whole bird. I will marinade the Thighs in Yoshida's overnight prior to smoke. Sound good?

I've read a bunch about the water pan. I am thinking of just doing the foiled saucer/pan method and skipping the water. Opinions?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #90
eddiek2000

Picked some fresh zucchini and yellow squash from the garden. Any tips on when to add to smoker so everything is ready to eat at the same time? I figure slice squash and wrap in AL foil with some butter/salt/pepper. Put on smoker 2 hours prior to finish. Leave squash in smoker after meat is removed and finishing in foil. Remove squash foil bundle when ready for dinner.

Thoughts?