Had To Try The Parkay Brown Sugar & Honey Ribs

RubThatButt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I figured with all the water cooler talk about the Parkay,brown sugar and honey ribs seen on Pitmasters that I would try them out myself to see how good they are. I have to say that I enjoyed them. All the talk about why the judges like them in competitions seems to be simple. Reminds me of a that piece ham you have on your holiday plate that is swimming in the gooey goodness of the candied sweet potatoes. Who doesn't have a fond memory of that in their mental file? I didn't have to hurry either for turn in so they did dry a little on the ends. I am not sure how you boys hit that window because if timing were everything these wouldn't have made it.

It's never as easy as they make it look. :-D

The players.

ribingredients.jpg

Getting the mad mixture on

rib3.jpg

Off the grill swimming in the sweet sweet goodness

rib2l.jpg

Ready to eat

platef.jpg

All in all I thought they were pretty good. If you like your ribs sweet then you have to try these out no doubt. If your a spicy fan only make sure to kick up the sauce at the end and they will still be on the money.

platef.jpg

All in all I thought they were pretty good. If you like your ribs sweet then you have to try these out no doubt. If your a spicy fan only make sure to kick up the sauce at the end and they will still be on the money.

Wow, that's a pretty plate right there. I'd get into that elbows deep.

Something that i tried that i thought was pretty good. I put the rub on let it sit for awhile then add brown sugar let the brown sugar turn into the molases state. Then put it on the cooker. And then when i foil it add more brown sugar and rub then spray it with apple juice. That has worked pretty good.

Did you take them out of the foil to crisp them up any? I did the same thing and got rib mush. The outside tasted incredible though.

Looks awesome. How long did you leave them in the foil? I never foil my ribs and wonder if I would need to adjust my cooking times.

Did you take them out of the foil to crisp them up any? I did the same thing and got rib mush. The outside tasted incredible though.

I threw them on the smoker at 250° for 2 hours with only one 12″ split of hickory for a light smoke. Pulled them and wrapped in them in foil with the sweet concoction of Parkay ,brown sugar & honey laid out on both sides of the ribs. Back in the smoker for about 2 more hours. Removed from foil cooked another 30 minutes placed coat of sauce on cooked 30 more minutes.

I've not been watching Pit Masters. Is there more of a recipe?

I kept it all simple.

Rub Ingredients:
4 Tbs cane sugar
2 Tbs chili pPowder
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs pepper
1 Tsp garlic powder +/- to Taste

Since these are sweet ribs I thought I would give the sauce a bit of zip with some jalapenos.

Sauce:
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 onion finely chopped
2-4 jalapenos finely chopped

Brought all sauce ingredients to boil simmered for 25 minutes.

I threw them on the smoker at 250° for 2 hours with only one 12″ split of hickory for a light smoke. Pulled them and wrapped in them in foil with the sweet concoction of Parkay ,brown sugar & honey laid out on both sides of the ribs. Back in the smoker for about 2 more hours. Removed from foil cooked another 30 minutes placed coat of sauce on cooked 30 more minutes.

DSC09699a.jpg

Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Rangers) spoke of brown sugar and honey in the foil many years ago, but the Parkay intrigued me when I saw it used so much on the Verses BBQ showdown.... Remember that one 4 or 5 years ago? It had two teams competing weekly and featured Dr BBQ, Mike Mills, Wood Chicks and several other well known pit masters. They had a secret ingredient that was disclosed at the last minute like the Iron Chefs do.

There is also a Mike Mills YouTube showing him using Parkay....then it showed up on pitmasters. So, like you I gave it a try. On this batch I went with sauce instead of honey. Honestly, they are a little too sweet for my tastes, but I get rave reviews when I make them.

DSC09692b.jpg

DSC09694b.jpg

DSC09148a.jpg

Folk those are some mighty fine looking ribs, I have got to try them this way!!!

Bill Milroy (Texas Rib Rangers) spoke of brown sugar and honey in the foil many years ago,​

Lets Keep Bill and Barbara our own little secret Eye! LOL I never understood why there was such little mention of them in here and was glad. Kinda like knowing a secret all your own. They represented such traditional Texas Faire and It was interesting to see how they adapted to winning outside Texas in the later Ninties. And its connecting states and this tip is one they rarely used In Texas. last time I saw them I was in Cookevilel Tennessee.

It is wonderful recipe but def not a hot and fast recipe (which wins outside). I am thinking of reducing the temp down to "Milroy Outside Texas Standards" and doing some of these myself.

Gosh its nice to talk to someone who knows Bill and Barb.

BY the way, ain't kroger ribs enhanced? You should try natural ones.

Gonna have to try these now. So I guess I'll add ribs to the menu when i do my brisket and butt in the very near future.

Back