How to do from Brisket Point to Burnt Ends

CrackerJack from KC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is the usual recipe to make burnt ends from the time you have a finished brisket.

Do most of you chop up the point. mix with sauce and throw in the oven at higher temps, or do you put it back on the smoker, just curious?

heck...Im still trying to figure out exactly what are burnt ends ?

There is no recipe.... I do mine like this - Cook brisket until flat is done. remove and separate flat from point. Depending on my energy level, sometimes sprinkle additional rub on point and put back in smoker at same temp as i did brisket for anywhere from 2 to 4 additional hours specific time doesn't really seem to matter. Take point off and cube with cleaver (it's more fun than using a knife) mix with sauce and serve

There is no recipe.... I do mine like this - Cook brisket until flat is done. remove and separate flat from point. Depending on my energy level, sometimes sprinkle additional rub on point and put back in smoker at same temp as i did brisket for anywhere from 2 to 4 additional hours specific time doesn't really seem to matter. Take point off and cube with cleaver (it's more fun than using a knife) mix with sauce and serve

Heck, that's a recipe. :mrgreen: But I can't resist adding a visual.

DSC02881a.jpg

When I don't serve them dry (with a table sauce), I do a little reduction after cubing. Don't forget PBE's either, with cubed pork butt.

DSC04645ab.jpg

Very nice looking I made the once my nephew went wild over them.

I chop up the point, for some reason I prefer smaller pieces, like 1/2 inch cubes. Before chopping though, I trim all fat I can find. I like cooking them kinda dry, almost like jerky, so the fat has to go. After trimming and chopping, I put in a pan and hit it real good with some rub and smoke at 250 for 2 hours. Then hit it with more rub and smoke for another hour, then more rub and another hour on the smoke. After 4 hours on the cooker I check them to see if they are starting to dry out. If not, I hit them with more rub and back int he smoker for another hour. When they are done, they get another sprinkling of rub, then I let them cool and then bag and chill in the fridge. I like to snack on them like little jerky nuggets straight from the fridge. This is not your normal burnt ends recipe, but if you serve them warm with sauce, it will be standard burnt ends without the fat. For some reason, I am not too keen on fatty burnt ends anymore, not sure why.

i cube it up, add more rub and sauce then put them over a searing hot grill for a few minutes turning them and flipping them often with a a couple of spatulas.

I seperate the flat and point when the flat is done and throw the point back on the cooker for about an hour or so. Then I cube it, put it in an aluminum pan, sauce the cubes pretty heavily, cover with foil and put it back on the smoker for a couple of hours (or until I can't wait any longer!!!).

Back