What To Charge

Schraufy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Guys what do you charge for bulk meat? I am cooking a 13lb brisket that cost me $33 and I dont want to over charge but dont want to give it away either. I will slice it and foodsaver it for him. Last week I did 2 pork butts for a guy that cost me $27 and he paid me $50. Btw he was very pleased. Just wondering your thoughts. Thank you.

John

3X what your costs are is a decent place to start.

Not sure a $100 brisket would go over well, though.

I get About $12/lb for PP, and about $15/lb for sliced brisket.

Hope this helps and good luck.

that sounds like a good price 12 for pp
15 brisket
it's a guide line anyway
pork prices seem to be high right now

John I would love it if someone sold me pork for that price. The cost of the meat a bag of charcoal and your time I think your in the hole. I have been getting $12/lb for Pork and $14/lb for Brisket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys what do you charge for bulk meat? I am cooking a 13lb brisket that cost me $33 and I dont want to over charge but dont want to give it away either. I will slice it and foodsaver it for him. Last week I did 2 pork butts for a guy that cost me $27 and he paid me $50. Btw he was very pleased. Just wondering your thoughts. Thank you.

John

I take it you have already bought the meat and agreed to cook, but haven't settled on a price? Yikes!

Hey Guys what do you charge for bulk meat? I am cooking a 13lb brisket that cost me $33 and I dont want to over charge but dont want to give it away either. Last week I did 2 pork butts for a guy that cost me $27 and he paid me $50. Btw he was very pleased. Just wondering your thoughts. Thank you.

John

Brisket: ~$95 for a 13 lb brisket. That is just for the meat, no sauce or buns.
Pork: I bet he was really pleased with that. He probably got 10 Lbs of finished meat @ $5/lb. That should have cost him in the neighborhood of $100. Did you give him buns and sauce as well?

You will get around 7lbs finished. I charge $12 a pound which would come out to $84. If gas and meat prices continue to rise I may have to rethink my prices.

Thanks for the input. I did both of these with no sauce or buns. I take it the price per pound is cooked weight? That seems fair. I weighed the brisket after cooking and it was close to 7lbs. I asked $80 for it and was paid. The pp not sure of weight but the pan was full. I enjoy doing it and seeing them satisfied. I have 4 more orders in the next week so I think I will take your advice and go a little higher on my prices.

we cook 13-14 pounders and sell them for $75. and thats sliced with the point on.. want it trimmed up real pretty, then thats more. $100 for sliced and burnt ends.

pork we sell butts for 30. even with the meat price what it is, i'm still doing good. i toss in a pint of sauce with these as well.

I feel bad at the price I'm paying, $1.53 # for spareribs, $1.19 # for butts, both not enhanced, chick halves $.77 # and 14# avg full packer for $1.94 # Now that is by the case as thats what I use at my vend spot on Sat.

Back