Too Much Smoke Flavor

SmokenIdaho

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just started using a Kamado Joe and It seems to hold the temp fine but it is smokier than my Wholehog, UDS or Traeger.
I am using Lump Charcoal. Maybe I need to get it really hot for a bit and work it down before I cook, I just don't know
Any Ideas?

are you putting the meat on while the smoke is still heavy white/grayish from the coals just getting ignited or waiting say a while to get a clean burn with more transparent smoke ?

Most complain kamados are on the light side of smoke flavor..

What are you cooking? Poultry will take on smoke or other bad flavors very fast. On my Egg I wait about 45 minutes after I lite the fire before putting any food on. Gives the ceramic time to stabilize. Like Vinny said, many Ceramic owners including myself seem to have a lack of smoke flavor.

Come to my house:roll:
I will try and let it go longer without food I bet that is the problem

yeah the 10 min ready to cook is kinda bs. Letting the fire get stable for 30 min to 45 will improve your cooks without that nasty smoke. It took this bullheaded sob a while to finally realize or accept that

Make sure the top exhaust vent is open and you have a good clean flow. I agree with Fatmike, let the fire stabilize for 30 mins prior to throwing your meat on.

Can't comment on the Kamodo but on my Weber I've definitely learned that "less is more". I let the charcoal "settle" a bit (all gray with a nice core of embers) and keep the wood to a handful, particularly on chicken. Smoke level is perfect on my Memphis.

I agree with the guys above, start your fire earlier, 30 minutes minimum. A little more open on the exhaust while controlling the temp with the bottom intake will keep the smoke moving also. And make sure your lump is dry. If you leave it outside it will absorb moisture and burn smokier. You might not notice much of a difference in other cookers, but you will in a Kamado.

Yo, Boise....did you get your KJ from Sherman? Small world. Hey, I have been cookingo n my KJ for months now and am noting some of the same startup recommendations these guys are giving you....I have been testing my competition ribs for a couple weeks now, benchmarking the tests up against my Traeger. I noted that letting the KJ settle in with a good balance of coals is best. I also want heavier smoke when I start so when I put on the chunk wood, I place four good sized hunks of wood into the coals and then get the meat right on there.

Don't get the cooker "really hot" at all, ceramic cookers are meant to retain heat, it will take you eons to cool it down to smoke temp. I run mine up to 275 or so before I add the diffuser and set the draft door and daisy wheel to let it get back down to 220 or so.

Nothing overpowering, I think it is a matter of just evening out your coal burn before hardwood is added. At least that's my take on it. Doing it again this weekend. Good luck.

SmokenIdaho, what type of lump are you using? Are you grilling or smoking when this happens? Are you using any wood chunks/chips?

Back