MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPup View Post
Thanks for the comment! Funny - we just moved back to Oregon from your neck of the woods in November. Spent 15 years down in the Carson City area - most recently Stagecoach (You know - where teeth and shoes are both optional?) We loved the NV desert, but it was time to get home where the families (and the salmon) are.

Lol yep, optional is about right. I actually havent been into carson for probably a good 10 years , its probably ALOT different from that time. Maybe i should go for fun, plus i want to drive the new bridge.

Ah everything is good about the desert here, i love it. Scorching heat in the summer, 0 degree in the winter.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Ok, I got the drum painted (semi-gloss black - going simple on my first build,) the hardware and valve installed, and tried out a grill and the lid from my old Weber OTS. It fits great!

I think I messed up in spraying the Pam into the drum before I got it painted. I did cover the holes in the sides for the hardware, but it seeped under the tape in a couple of places. I also think that next time I'll use shortening instead of Pam. It's a bit neater to apply. Spraying the inside of the drum was just a mess.

I went with SS acorn nuts on the outside of the drum for a neater appearance and to keep me from snagging myself on the end of the bolt. If there's a way I can cut myself, I'll find it. Covering the end of the bolt eliminates one such possibility.

Now I just need to get hold of a piece of expanded steel (scrap metal dealer,) an ash pan (water heater pan or el cheapo 18" BBQ from the convenience store) a turkey fryer thermometer (and the fittings to mount it,) and we're ready to rock.

My lesson learned? Rub the inside of the drum down with Crisco and season it like I do cast iron cookware. Spraying the inside of a drum with Pam while I'm half-way in the danged thing is just a big mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD Build 9.jpg (49.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 10.jpg (23.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 11.jpg (23.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 12.jpg (48.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 13.jpg (49.2 KB, 73 views)

Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Desertracer
Knows what a fatty is.

Great looking build!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
71-South
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great. I used an 18" pizza pan for my ash pan. I've had my UDS operational for about 3 weeks and I LOVE it !!!

Yoder YS640 / UDS / Mini WSM
---
Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Harrisonville/Lee's Summit, Missouri
Grip it. Rip it. Let the big hog eat!
71-South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
RustyPup
Got Wood.

I went down to the local scrap metal dealer this morning and grabbed 2 pieces of heavy expanded steel. I was looking for 3/4" 9 gauge, and found out they mainly sell full 4' X 8' sheets of the stuff. I told him what I wanted (a piece about 8" - 12" wide and maybe 48" long, and he pointed me to the "small pieces" rack and told me to see what they had. I walked over and the first two things that jumped out at me were 2 pieces of very heavy expanded steel, both 48" long, one 9" wide, and the other 11" wide. I asked how much they wanted for them, and was told $1.00 per pound. I snagged both pieces and took them over to be weighed so I could pay for them. They totaled 10 lbs, so $10 later, I was on my way home again. I was gone a total of 20 minutes.

My luck ran out shortly after that, however, when I tried to bend this heavy stuff. O. M. G! Never again! I got home with the steel at about 10:00 am. I finally got my charcoal basket wired together at 3:00 pm. That's 5 hours spent trying to bend a 4' long piece of steel into a circle.

I've been reading the Mother of All UDS Threads since the day I signed up on this forum (I'm currently on page 508,) and I can tell you that I either got some seriously heavy steel, I'm a lot older and weaker than I thought, or it's made of Kryptonite. "Oh just bend it around a propane tank," goes the conventional wisdom. Yeah - right. Not with this stuff.

I'm out of money for the UDS this month, so I kind of made due on my charcoal basket for right now. Next month, I'll take the other piece of expanded steel to a few metal fabrication shops and see what they'll charge me to put it on the slip roller and shape it for me. Then I'll ask my neighbor to weld it up for me (I don't think he's bought his own beer since I moved in.)

So - right now, I'm getting everything together to fire it up and do a seasoning run and see if I can learn how to control the temps. I have some el cheapo store brand charcoal to fire up for the seasoning run - after that I'll use the better quality stuff. I just couldn't see paying for good quality stuff just to season it and not cook anything.

Film at 11...

My lesson learned? Pay the pro when you don't have the right tools to do a job. Five hours is way, way too much time to spend on a simple thing like this, no matter how cheap I am.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD Build 14.jpg (87.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 15.jpg (87.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg UD Build 16.jpg (86.6 KB, 28 views)

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Yleekyoti
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good !! Just fyi , those step bits can be sharpened

Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yleekyoti View Post
Looking good !! Just fyi , those step bits can be sharpened
Sweet! Thanks for that! I'm sure i'll need that done down the road.

I fired up 12 of the el cheapo briquettes in my chimney and dumped the rest of the bag into the basket. When they chimney was ready, I poured them into the basket, on top of the unlit, and dropped it into the UDS. I don't have a good thermo yet, so I put the Weber grate on and set our oven thermo on it and put on the Weber lid. I watched the temp through the Weber vent holes, and put one cap back on the nipple at about 180°. I put the other on at 200°, and closed the ball valve about half way at about 225°.

I've had it fired up for about an hour now, and I'm keeping track of temps and times. It's cruising along right now at about 260° and I have the two caps on and the ball valve open about 1/2 way - vent on the Weber lid open all the way, as it will stay when I'm cooking. I'll let it go for another half hour and check it again. If I'm within about 10° of that 260°, I'll leave it alone and give it another half hour. If it's not, I'll adjust the valve a bit and give it another half hour. If it's good, I'll call the first test good and open up the intakes to get it up to about 400° for seasoning purposes.

Don't know if you can tell or not in this pic, but there is thin blue in my driveway...

No lessons learned yet - I'm still learning...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UD Build 17.jpg (52.2 KB, 23 views)

Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Temp was 250° at 4:30 and 5:00 pm - rock steady. I think I just need to catch my temps coming up a little quicker (say maybe 170° next time) and I can keep it humming along at 250°. At 5:00 I opened the ball valve all the way and took the caps off of the nipples, and it jumped up to 300° in 10 minutes. Gonna check it again at 5:30, and if it's at 400° or more, I'll cap the nipples up, adjust the valve to half-way again, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes to season it, then I'll shut everything up to let it die out.

I have to say that I'm actually very impressed with how easy this drum is to control. I know, I know - the Mother of All UDS Thread is full of success stories. I'm just happy to see that it works for me in real life just as easily as it does for other folks.

Lesson learned? Some things are just as easy as advertised.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
RustyPup
Got Wood.

OK, it all went as planned. It got up to 400° at about 5:40, and I let it cruise until about 6:10, then capped the nipples, shut the valve and exhaust vents. Now we'll see how long it takes to die out. So far so good!