MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

Smile Competition chicken and rib - rub and sauce

I am doing my first competition this week. I see many folks have their favorite rub and sauce for chicken and rub and sauce for ribs. I am fond of chicken and rib tickler as a rub and some doctored up sweet baby rays.... I am here in the North eastern US where they seem to like sweet with a little heat. I would love if I could get some other good rubs and sauces for ribs and chicken. I have heard Plowboys yardbird is good on chicken... Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can give.... Sauces seem to give me the most trouble as far as a good match......
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

as far as rubs try 3 Eyez and Dizzy Pig Tsunimie spin. both really good on chicken ( and mashed potatos and..and..and...).

I like Head Country sauce as well as doctored SBR...

oh and eggs, really good on eggs..
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Since the banner hangs on my site at every competition, I guess it's no secret that I use Plowboy's rubs. Yardbird on chicken and ribs.

BTW, I wouldn't use them if they weren't good :)

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Plowboys are all good, I like a little smokin' guns hot from time to time on chicken, I also use some big ron's on ribs which is really good. As for sauce I have used blues hog but am trying to shy away, I really like naked bones cherry.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

When not using my own I like Kosmo's "Dirty Bird" and Dizzy Pig "Swamp Venom" on chicken...Simply Marvelous "Spicy Apple" and Dizzy Dust on ribs. As far as a commercial sauce goes...Sweet Baby Rays...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
lynnaepdx
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My chicken is always a work in progress...seems it's the only category I just don't win the judges heart with....I'd love some pointers on this one as well. As for commercial sauce, I'm with JD...SBR's mixed with some red current jelly. Yummy!

Lynnae

Last edited by lynnaepdx; 09-26-2010 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: needed to add a line...oops :)
lynnaepdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Go to the best most successful BBQ joint in your area and taste their sauce. Don't vary too greatly from theirs for your contest even if you have your "personal favorite".
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote