Judges Score My Ribs Please

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Sitting around looking at some of my boxes. Wanted to see what you judges think of these. Let me have it. :becky:

Well done, an 8, maybe a 9 if I saw them in person. Someone is going to comment on the parsley sticking up in the front; I'm judging the meat. I want to dig in and taste it.

Judging from a picture is much different than at the table, but I will express my 3 second opinion, then be a little more critical.

Solid 8

Now a little more time studying the picture--Not too much sauce, good. The left 3 bones have dark splotches that the right 2 don't. The 5 across the top look like they came from 1 slab and the knife cuts are good, no tearing of the meat, thats good. May be the picture perspective but some of the bones look like they are a little wedge shaped, and the whole 5 together look a little skewed, not bad but just pointing out. I am never sure what to think about 1 bone turned sideways....it always looks a little left out to me. If you are doing it to show the cut side of a rib, I usually am studying the box as the table captain is presenting it around the table and can most of the time observe the cut edge as it is coming towards me. Not a deduct, just another observation.

Were these actually judged? Wonder what your scores are if they were. To me it is a pretty solid looking box.

Being very picky, an 8. The color isn't uniform across the ribs, and the rib in front takes away from the look of the ones in back. Try reversing the position and have the single rib in back.

Also, even though it's not a garnish comp, neatening up the parsley all the way around so it makes a nice, even frame could make a slight difference in that first impression.

Well, I guess............:laugh: :razz:.
OK, here goes then:

For me, the most distracting thing about the box is that the 5 rib slab at the top isn't rectangular, or at least the top and bottom edges aren't parallel. Take this and then add into it that a couple of the ribs are slightly wedge shaped, makes the whole box a little out of whack. I don't mind having the 6th rib on the bottom, but because it is rectangular it just reinforces the skewed top rack.

I think the color/sauce/and all that look pretty damn good though. The only other comment I would have is straighten up the parsley a little around the edges, and you'd be good to go.

Is the difference, the 2 bones on the right are from a different rack than the rest?

Is the difference, the 2 bones on the right are from a different rack than the rest?

No. This is 6 consecutive ribs from one rack. The bottom rib came from the left side. All 6 won't sit in straight across. At least not on this rack. Trying to figure out a way to make 6 look good in a box. 3 on 3 doesn't look great to me.

No. This is 6 consecutive ribs from one rack. The bottom rib came from the left side. All 6 won't sit in straight across. At least not on this rack. Trying to figure out a way to make 6 look good in a box. 3 on 3 doesn't look great to me.

Why not 4 over 4? Or are you trying to get everything out of one rack?

Rotate your Racks 180 degrees in the middle of the first stage of your cook. Looks like you have a temp variance from front to back. And those are a solid 8

Last edited:
An 8, if you had not BBqed someone's index finger and put it in the front of the box, probably a 9.

Just makes 8 for me but that exact same 6 bones could be a 9

1) I would flip the 5 bone section around putting the pull back exposed bones pointing toward the hinge of the clamshell.

2) With the direction I explain in #1, I would lay the 5 bone section 1/2 inch above the the bottom of the clamshell (away from the hinge) and lay the bottom cut line of the slab parallel with the bottom of the clamshell. It is ok that the pull back bones curve with the shape of the rack as that is natural and shows that they are from the same rack

3) I would place the 6 th bone between the top of the rack and the hinge of the clamshell...above the 5 bone rack as opposed to below.

A solid 8 from me. Great color, even saucing, but the front rib and the two left ones are a bit scraggly. Uniformity is where you take the hit.

I'd score it a seven. That lone rib just doesn't belong. Looks like a complete afterthought whether you meant it to be or not. 3 on 3 would have been much better in this case.

So, I did this the same way I'd judge it at a comp:
I looked at the picture for about five seconds (sounds short, but actually stare at something for five seconds... it's a long time). Then, I made my call:

"8"
Pros:
Beautiful color and glaze. Good sharp cuts with no "stringers". Made my mouth water.

Cons:
Uneven bones obviously pulled from different racks. Can't see the inside of the meat, just the glaze (no way to tell if the meat looks juicy, dry, smoked, etc.) The unevenness of the bones makes the overall presentation seem a little jumbled, even though the bones are well-placed.

Now I will submit this and go back and read all the other comments. :grin:

Ok.. so having gone back and read all the other comments, it appears that the bones WERE pulled from the same rack. It doesn't look like it. The meat on the three on the left have pulled back from the end of the bone where the three on the right have not. Very different color from first set to the next.

I don't mind the loner in front, but as I mentioned in my first post, I'd have turned it on its side so that the judges could see the texture of the meat itself.

Aside from that, it looks like we're all pretty much in agreement.

Back